Sign in to follow this  
rickeyfro

Solid Brass or Copper Chicago Screws???

Anyone know of anyone who sells Brass or Coper Chicago Screws?

Weaver leather seems to have the best price on 100 count solid brass and nickled brass chicago screws.

If you don't need that many, try Sew What? Supplies.

I suppose Tandy has them too. However, I have never seen copper.

ed

I'm thinking about substituting Chicago screws for tubular and doublecap rivets on my bags and using red locktite, perhaps blue, to keep them from coming loose. I've read in a post long ago that one way to securely tighten these is to use a rubber bicycle innertube underneath the post head to grip it and keep it from turning while tightening the screw. Might there be some other methods for keeping the post and head stationary while tightening the screw?

Thanks,

Ed

Might there be some other methods for keeping the post and head stationary while tightening the screw?

There is a pair of pliars made for holding them. They are black plastic and cost about $20. Unfortionatly I do not remember the company and the pliars are not marked. Possibly someone else can step in.

Zack White also has them but not in copper.

I've got a few of the 3/8" posts and 1/4" screws and have to experiment with some applications. If I use the red locktite on these will it be impossible to unscrew them by hand, ever? The Blue locktite still allows for rather easy removal with a screwdriver, though it may have enough hold for what I need.

Ed

Zack White also has them but not in copper.

I've got a few of the 3/8" posts and 1/4" screws and have to experiment with some applications. If I use the red locktite on these will it be impossible to unscrew them by hand, ever? The Blue locktite still allows for rather easy removal with a screwdriver, though it may have enough hold for what I need.

Ed

Do NOT use red if you ever want to get them apart without using heat. I use the red on my Harley, only on nuts and bolt that I won't be taking off often. Blue will be more than enough, as it will be a little bit of a bear also, but doable.

I've started experimenting. So far I like the idea of the substitution. I'll stay away from locktite red but what about an epoxy or super glue? Would either of these provide a stronger bond than locktite blue but weaker than locktite red? Ideally, I'd like something between red and blue

I was also wondering if head diameter varies among providers. The Formay brand Chicago screws I have from SewWhat supplies have a head diameter of 10.15mm to 10.20 mm. I could use this diameter, but I'd rather have a diameter of around 12mm.

Ed

I've started experimenting. So far I like the idea of the substitution. I'll stay away from locktite red but what about an epoxy or super glue? Would either of these provide a stronger bond than locktite blue but weaker than locktite red? Ideally, I'd like something between red and blue

I was also wondering if head diameter varies among providers. The Formay brand Chicago screws I have from SewWhat supplies have a head diameter of 10.15mm to 10.20 mm. I could use this diameter, but I'd rather have a diameter of around 12mm.

Ed

The blue will work just fine. It will still take quite a bit to break that bond, and the leverage you get with a screw driver will be required. They won't back off on their own. As far as glue, loctite is made to release at some point, glue is not.

I've finished experimenting and will go ahead with an order for all three sizes in nickled brass and solid brass -- posts of 1/4", 3/8", 1/2". These all come with screw 1/4" long screw posts. Does anyone know if its possible to get longer and shorter screws at Lowes or Home Depot? Weaver has some (5/32" and 3/8") for $10 for a box of a hundred, but I'm thinking that I would only need a few now and then.

Ed

Solid Copper Binding Posts

http://www.fastenal.com/catalog_pages/2007/3-339.pdf

These came to mind as soon as I saw the subject line. This source Only place I have ever seen these oddballs, but I have never run a search for them either. Some binding posts seem to be pretty much the same thing as chicago screws.