eatbeef88

Transferring Patterns To Leather

Would anyone have any advice on a good way to transfer a pattern onto leather? I have been drawing the pattern out on regular paper, transfer it onto tracing paper, then using a stylus to go over the tracing paper onto the leather. The problem I am having is that the tracing paper tends to tear and wad up when I go over the lines with my stylus and as it gets wet from the leather under it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tracing film to leather is a time tested method. If you're wadding up the tracing film or cutting through it you may be pressing too hard. The idea is to create a light impression on well cased leather then follow it with the swivel knife. The other two methods that I'm aware of are:

Tap Offs - there is a post on here, I believe it's in the "How do I do that" forum on making Tap Offs. That's the way saddle makers and leather workers have done repeated patterns for years.

Craftaids - The work well, but are limited in that they are not scaleable nor can they be edited or amended in any way.

I predominately use Tracing film in that I don't do a lot of repeats, I use line drawings from the web and my library and then scale them to what I'm making. I do have some old craftaids that I use as well mostly on wallets.

Chief

+1 on everything Chief said. Just remember that tracing FILM is not the same as tracing PAPER. it wont get wet and can be reused to trace the same pattern again. You can buy it from Tandy and several other stores.

Tracing paper was used by Stohlman for one reason, he did not own a photo copier. If the books being sold today reflected modern technology, tracing paper would likely stop being taught. Similar to a secretary training book written in 1963 would tell you to use carbon paper if you want a copy.

The modern day method is to dampen your leather, wrap it with seran wrap, lay a photo copy on top, trace it with a red pen (so you an see what you have missed), you are done.

Every time you copy your pattern by hand you are adding to the error factor. It is also a lot slower to hand draw a copy than it is to hit print on a copy machine. Also a stylus does not show where you have traced and missed, a colored pen shows up.

Put plastic wrap between your leather and tracing paper.

Tracing paper was used by Stohlman for one reason, he did not own a photo copier. If the books being sold today reflected modern technology, tracing paper would likely stop being taught. Similar to a secretary training book written in 1963 would tell you to use carbon paper if you want a copy.

The modern day method is to dampen your leather, wrap it with seran wrap, lay a photo copy on top, trace it with a red pen (so you an see what you have missed), you are done.

Every time you copy your pattern by hand you are adding to the error factor. It is also a lot slower to hand draw a copy than it is to hit print on a copy machine. Also a stylus does not show where you have traced and missed, a colored pen shows up.

Thanks for this tip....as somewhat of a newbie i was already printing out my patterns and transferring them with a pen but the seran wrap piece will help me do this cleaner

Is there anywhere that you can get a "craft aid" made? I have a pattern I am using all the time and it is time consuming to trace over the pattern every time. I would prefer to just imprint the pattern.

Is there anywhere that you can get a "craft aid" made? I have a pattern I am using all the time and it is time consuming to trace over the pattern every time. I would prefer to just imprint the pattern.

Have a look for info on "tap offs" - essentially elements of a design that you use lots.

Make one, seal it and lightly tap it onto cased leather to leave a negative impression....that is, a negative impression tooling-wise, if done well you'll create a very positive impression ;-)

Cheers!

I know this is an old post but just came across this..... this could be a game changer......

Thoughts: You could print in a lighter color than that which you are dying the leather with if you only needed to cut and tool the image.

There may also be benefit to doing this to lay out actual images also. Planning to test it out soon.

Any laser shop can cut you one. They cut the pattern on a piece of Delrin, leaving the lines and removing everything else about 1/16" down. Leaves a bunch of raised lines.

you could use a 3d printer if you have a bed big enough to print a craftaid.  if you own the printer, you could scale it accordingly

Scoot

I don't know if it's already mentioned, but sheet protectors do also work fine, and are cheap.

Vana

I bought a couple packs or overhead projector sheets (at a thrift shop) and if the design is simple I use a permanent marker and trace it on the film (just make sure you don't place the ink side on the leather...been there) or of the design is larger or more in-depth I tape a paper copy to a sheet of the film and tape another over it...then I cut it out of the film leaving about 1/4 inch around the design and seal the edges with tape.  You can also (usually) put these sheets thru a printer but, again, do not place ink side down on the leather.  Then I use a ball point pen to transfer the pattern...and being in the plastic film the image can be reused.

I don't know but this may seem like alot of work but it seems to work for a lasting pattern.  I am sure there are better ways but getting that film like I did (usually about $30 a pack...I paid $1) it's what I'm doing for now.

Plastic film is the best choice, and the parchment paper is the second one.