JohnD

Looking For Info On Singer 136W111 And 51W52

I have an opportunity to buy one or both of these machines locally and could not find any info. I tried the search here and on Google and came up empty. I was wondering if anyone here might be familiar with either of them and if they would be suitable for my intentions. would they be sufficient for bags, wallets and upholstery of, at most, maybe 3 layers of 3-4 oz leather or even heavy canvas? I have zero experience with machine sewing and thought the price was right enough to play around with these if they would do the job.

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

Evo160k,

Thanks for such a quick response. It looks like both machines are suitable for leather. I'm going to go take a look at them tomorrow and your links will be very helpful.

You're welcome. I didn't look, but Dixie probably has the parts books for them also.

Good luck with them.

John,

In the instruction manual you can see that this machine has three pair of gears that are used to set three different stitch lengths. The least per inch is twelve up to 32 stitches per inch , depending on which three sets are present in the machine that you are looking at. Something to check out before you decide whether to buy or not. With the continuous wheel feed this machine feeds well.

thanks for the info Ill keep that in mind when I look at them.

The only leather items that are sewn with such tiny stitches (12/inch and smaller) are cowboy boots, where the fancy stitching designs are sewn onto the uppers before assembly. These are sewn with very slim thread, like #33, which is half the size used in upholstery.

You may want to reconsider if these machines are specifically set up for tiny stitches and can't be easily changed to the more common 5 to the inch.