Agamemnom

Finishing Edges With Suede?

Hi guys,

I am just finishing making a suede maincure set out of suede leather, where I glued two layers of suede together and I was wondering what is the best way to finish off the edges so that they look nice. I know that you can burnish veg tanned leather, but I'm not sure if you can do it with suede, I have given it a go with some water but the results aren't much different from before. If it is possible to burnish suede edges can it be done with beeswax?

Cheers :)

As far as I know, there's nothing that would make it as close as what you'd expect from veg tan leather. What they do with suede shoes is using bees wax along with polishing paste. I'd be hesitant and try it on scrap first.

I will definitely try it on a piece of scrap first, which I have already done with some beeswax and it produced a shiny-ish edge, by polishing paste I'm assuming you don't mean shoe polish?

That's what others have been referring to. I've never done it myself. I usually want to roughing it up when working on a saddle, so vise versa.

My initial trials with a beeswax-boot polish-water mixture has proved no move successful than just beeswax, if anyone has other suggestions please let me know :)

Edited by Agamemnom

It will depend on the tannage of the suede. If it's actual "suede", which is chrome tanned, then no, it won't slick up like vegtan leather. If it's a brushed vegtan split, then you should be able to shave it to smooth, and burnish.

This is probably sacrilage here on our leatherworkers site, but...(on a scrap first) you might try painting the edge with a polymer acrylic, like Liquitex from a hobby store. If you want the edge dark, there are permanent markers (other than just black) that you could carefully touch it up with, and then after the marker dries, the polymer acrylic would be applied. The polymers come in several 'finishes', from high gloss to matt, and there's probably more than one viscosity. But high gloss might not be the best choice in this case, being as the suede is inherently a little rough. You'll be able to smooth it with your finger before it dries.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/liquitex-acrylic-polymer-varnishes/

http://www.dickblick.com/products/bic-mark-it-color-collection-permanent-markers/#photos

Edited by TexasLady

No, suede dose not burnish. The best way to achieve a nice edge with suede is to hem the edges prior to sewing/gluing.

No, suede dose not burnish. The best way to achieve a nice edge with suede is to hem the edges prior to sewing/gluing.

What 'he' said! :) Plus 'woulda, shoulda, coulda'. I've also seen suede with 'piping'. Here's a short video on sewing piping, but working with fabric in this video.

Edited by TexasLady

I have checked the ebay site where I bought the leather from and there is no particular information as to how the leather was finished, does anyone know how I can figure it out? Also I have already glued my pieces together in preparation for stitching(herp derp) so after-the-fact solutions are essential here. At this point I do have a sheet of very thin, similarly coloured veg-tanned leather that I am tempted to fold over the sides and sew.

It will depend on the tannage of the suede. If it's actual "suede", which is chrome tanned, then no, it won't slick up like vegtan leather. If it's a brushed vegtan split, then you should be able to shave it to smooth, and burnish.

By shaving the edges do you mean removing the fibres on the edge with a razor blade and then follow normal procedure?

Agamemnom, I think that sewing a strip of the other leather over the edge sounds like a great idea,...a good save.

I had a similar problem with ugly edges when I made a billfold out of salmon skin. I solved it by gluing black binding tape (fabric) around the edges, then doing a double-loop lacing stitch on top of the binding tape, all the way around. In the first photo, I'd just started the first inches of the double loop lacing.

post-11036-0-23175600-1431388958.jpeg

post-11036-0-02007200-1431389005.jpeg

post-11036-0-59677700-1431389021.jpeg

Edited by TexasLady

Sorry you wouldn't be able to repost those photos using a photo dump website like imgur would you? Because the file size restrictions on this site mean that I can't really see what you mean... Cheers :)

I'll try posting straight from my 'gallery'. Also, I apologize in advance that I can't go back and retake the pictures. I gave away the wallet to the grocery store fellow who gave me all the salmon skins. :)

After posting, I see there's no improvement in quality of the photos. Basically, I'm saying that I reinforced the edge by gluing (with contact cement) a thin strip of black seam binding (sewing store variety) around the edge of the wallet. Then, after the glue was completely dry, I did a double-loop lacing stitch all around the edge of the billfold, covering up almost completely the black seam binding that I had glued in place for extra strength and stability, and to give a clean, straight-looking edge that the fish skin wasn't giving me without it.

post-11036-0-90599400-1431517561_thumb.j

post-11036-0-62276700-1431517623_thumb.j

post-11036-0-32566000-1431517638_thumb.j

Edited by TexasLady

That's much clearer thanks :) Nice work by the way! I figure that covering the edges with another piece is probably the best option I have available to me at the moment.

Yes, the inventive solutions we come up with in making our creations are a big part of the fun. Glad you could see the photos better this time.

Sorry if this seems off-topic, but it occurred to me in this situation that when it's our own creation, and as in your circumstance, a gift to be given to your own loved one, then no kosher rules of leatherworking should infringe on our joy of making the article how we want to make it. And this lovely Scripture came to my mind:

Romans 9:20

20 But who are you, O man, to be answering back to God? Does the thing molded say to its molder: Why did you make me this way?

Edited by TexasLady

Hi guys,

I am just finishing making a suede maincure set out of suede leather, where I glued two layers of suede together and I was wondering what is the best way to finish off the edges so that they look nice. I know that you can burnish veg tanned leather, but I'm not sure if you can do it with suede, I have given it a go with some water but the results aren't much different from before. If it is possible to burnish suede edges can it be done with beeswax?

Cheers :)

Hi,

I have found that you can coat the edges with 100% resolene......let it dry completely.....then, support the edges of the suede in between a couple pieces of wood or metal so that the tiniest bit of edge is stitcking out and burnish with denim and beeswax :)

suede may not burnish well, but resolene stuck to suede will

Resolene will be a welcome new entry in my list of problem-solvers! [thumbs up]

When it comes to suede, (hem you edges)

Try "Edgeflex" made in Italy by Fenice    www.fenice.com.   You could also try "Maxedge" by Giardini.   www.leatheredgepaint.com.     I try!

Edited by Japi