JAZZMAN

My Thoughts Five Months In And A Big Thank You.

So i am now about five months in to my leatherworking journey and i just wanted to talk a bit about how things are going, but first i would like to say a huge thank you to all the kind skilled and knowledgeable people on this forum who have given up their experience and help so selflessly. I can honestly say that learning leathercraft has enriched my life in a way that i did not expect. When i first began looking at leathercraft it was just going to be something to fill up some time which i now find myself blessed with due to a disability and being unable to work at a job. I can only do leatherwork in short lengths at a time and there are certain things i have to be helped with such as handling larger pieces of leather and the like. But what i have found is that apart from just being a pastime, leathercraft seems to also be having a therapeutic effect on me, it seems to calm my mind and soul as well which is something that happens all too rarely for me as i am one of lifes worriers , who suffers with stress and anxiety a lot. I know i still have a long long way to go and a lot to learn but that is fine with me as i am a believer that it is all about enjoying the journey and not just the destination. So thanks again to all the members who have helped me on my journey, i hope i can help some people along the way as well. Peace.

Edited by JAZZMAN

Jazzman, the journey never ends, and you make a lot of good friends along the way!

God Bless!

Bob

Your journey here has already helped several that I had seen in various posts. So you are and have helped already, As to your disability, We all have afflictions of some sort, but, your shining beam supports - keep on keeping on, and for that I say thanks !

I sincerely hope your life becomes better for you, GOD will surely see you through ! Wild Bill46

really beautiifull and inspirng words jazzman. i also think in leathercraft as a shelter for this crazy world, as in other traditional manual works is not difficult to find in leather some kind of well-being feeling that definetly can enrich, even transform, our lives. just getting lost in a personal project in which you explore your creativity and express yourselve can get a therapeutic effect, if you add that you have to be aware of present moment and you can imagine that this is a good thing to put your time on. so... keep on working!

what a nice thing to say!! thx man! we enjoy folks jus like you...and it sounds like the bug REALLY bit ya...lol...it is indeed a love & passion...NOT cheap to get into...most of us feel its only fair to share whats been shared with US...its people inquiring, ordering, and telling me my stuff looks real nice, keep driving me to do better work & get nicer results....it definitely requires practice...to start off with, i'd getta Barry King swivel knife with a straight blade...the bearings he uses make a huge diff...especially when the leather is properly prepared....there's also several leather groups on Facebook...from tools to patterns and help & advice...and its a global network...lots of artists there that don't come to this group due to time ect....

Well i am sorry to sound like a broken record but i am compelled to say thank you once again for the kind responses to my post, and thaks for the tip jwalker about the Barry king swivel knife, this is an area of leathercraft i really want to develop as i think leather goods when properly decorated with tooling looks truly stunning, my dream is to create pieces that go from people saying that's nice to saying WOW I want one of those. Peace my friends.