Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

rubber mat for underneath heavy 441

To protect flooring and absorb vibration, I currently have scraps of veg tan underneath each leg of my 441 stand. I've been thinking of replacing these scraps with a thick rubber mat. Does anyone have a good source for such a mat?

I was also thinking of using squares cut out from a poundo board, but I think I like the idea of a large, thicker rubber mat more.

Thanks

Here's a good lead I've just now come across (from an Amazon.com review):

A much better alternative is a 4' x 6' x 3/4" thick rubber mat that you can buy from a farm supply store such as Blain's Farm and Fleet or Tractor Supply Co. I can't take credit for this idea. I discovered this when searching the web for a durable mat. This was suggested by many bodybuilders on the bodybuilding dot com website/forum. These rubber mats are called "Horse Stall Mats" or "Cow Stall Mats". These mats are made to last for years of abuse from cows and horses stomping, urinating, and other shtuff. Therefore, they will certainly hold up to exercise equipment, dumbbells/weights being dropped, and human sweat without a problem. I purchased two of these Cow Stall Mats from Farm and Fleet for $39 each.

ed

It seems that the rubber mats I originally had in mind are quite heavy and expensive to ship. After two hours of internet searching, I came across EVA dense closed-cell foam matting.

http://www.horse.com/Mighty-Light-Stall-Matt-BRM02.html

Does anyone know if this EVA foam would work well, or will it be too soft, even though it is used for horse stalls? Might anyone also know of a foam or rubber supplier that sells this as an industrial product rather than a use-specific product.

Foam 'n' More and many of the other Michigan-area suppliers don't seem to have it. I'll try McMaster.

Ed

Edited by esantoro

Not sure what kind of floor that you have, mine is concrete.

I have used the stall or trailer mats from Tractor Supply and I like them for the standing area where I work but don't care for them under my sewing machines. I have pine 2x4s under the left and right legs of each machine (one for two legs on either side) and this dampens the vibration and noise and also allows me to slide the machine easily if I need to for adjustments etc. Its also easier to sweep around the machine as the mats tend to grab and hold thread scraps that land on the floor. I use a shop vac for the mats.

The mats have certainly saved a few dropped tools from damage over the years.

Blake

You can get a good thick rubber mat at a sporting goods store that sells weight lifting materials. They use them under weight lifting gear.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

I've had good luck with carpeting with a woven backing laid upside down.

What my brother in law used was a piece of belt from a rock crusher....(talk about good wear)' Gawa.

I'm glad I haven't purchased anything yet. I like the carpet idea. And all I need are four 6" by 6" squares to go underneath each of he legs.

in the next few weeks, I'll head out to the carpet store with my box cutter in search of scraps.

Thanks for the replies.

Ed

Why not try foam floor underlay? They are cheap and more portable than the heavy rubber mat. The foam underlay can both protect your flooring and provide comfort and shock absorption.