I'm considering a strap cutter machine, but wanted to get opinions about the various machines out there. Here are the following machines I'm looking at:

Weaver hand operated ($1900, 8" cutting capacity): http://www.weaverleathersupply.com/Catalog/ItemContent.aspx?ItemNumber=25364

Cobra AK-20 ($1995, 14" cutting capacity): http://www.leathermachineco.com/product/cobra-ak-20-leather-strap-cutting-machine/

Artisan AK-22 ($1890, 14" cutting capacity): http://www.artisansew.com/leathercuttingmachinesandclickers.html#

Techsew 2020 ($1995, 20" cutting capacity): http://shop.raphaelsewing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=731

Morpan ($2000 rebuilt, 12" cutting capacity): http://landisusa.com/us-en/starp-cutter-morpan.html

I'm also curious on why all the pricing is almost identical when some have different cutting capacities, some come on a table, one is hand operated... Any and all information would be great!

I guess it would be a lot easier to help you if you'd tell us what your demand is. None of these machines might fit the bill or they might be just right or way too much...

Pricing is subject to the seller. Why they are pricing the way they do will be there little secret.

The Cobra, Artisan and Techsew machines are manufactured in china, the weaver is made here in the united states, so it has a higher labor cost. The morphan looks similar to the older Italian made strap cutters I have seen and looks like a good old simple work horse. If you have the option to attend a leather tool/equipment auction, you can usually pick a good one up for less than $1000. The last equipment auction I attended had two Italian strap cutters with table and motors and they went for around $600

Auctions are great if you don't want to have warranty on your equipment or the piece is so cheap that replacing isn't an issue. Rather than buying at an auction I would attend one of the trade shows if possible and buy one of their displays if possible.

Here's the weaver one on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Master-Tools-Hand-Operated-Strap-Cutter-Leather-belts-industrial-machine-/321748800455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae9b913c7 at $1550.

This Germany based company ships to the US as well and offers service in English too. Plus the warranty regulations in Germany are a lot better than in North America. Definitely worth looking into. http://www.sieck.de/en/machines/strap-strip-belt-cutting/. Don't be afraid of the shipping cost. They are very reasonable from Germany to the US. The machines start 950 EUR which is about the same in US$ at this time.

From the list of machines you posted the only one I really wouldn't choose is the Techsew as I haven't heard a lot of good stuff about that company's products. The weaver machine is a nice machine if you don't have a lot of straps to make at once. If you do an automated one is more comfortable but also more prone to failure due to the electric components.

The first thing you should consider is that you really need both hands to control the leather, especially if you are strapping a side or back. The AK-20 from Cobra is 20" width, their splitter (not slitter) is 14" width. The Morpan is narrower so that lets it out and the Weaver is hand crank, though you could rig up a motor. For no other reason than I have one and it works, get the Cobra AK-20.

Art

It seems to be 14" according to the sellers. Years ago it was 20". Mine is not where I can check it right away, however it has done everything I have wanted.

Art

On 5/14/2015 at 11:40 AM, Thor said:

This Germany based company ships to the US as well and offers service in English too. Plus the warranty regulations in Germany are a lot better than in North America. Definitely worth looking into. http://www.sieck.de/en/machines/strap-strip-belt-cutting/. Don't be afraid of the shipping cost. They are very reasonable from Germany to the US. The machines start 950 EUR which is about the same in US$ at this time.

I contacted this company in Germany. The machines are really nice and shipping is surprisingly reasonable. I was looking at this one http://www.sieck.de/en/machines/strap-strip-belt-cutting/details/5494/ If my math is right, I figured 1020,00 euros would be roughly $1150 to my door.

The downside is, the spacers for their machines only come in metric sizes. They said they could send some 1mm spacers for me to get close to the inches measurements. All my hardware is in inches - 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1.5", etc.

If I'm not mistaken, and someone please tell me I'm wrong, I won't be able to convert those sizes using metric spacers no matter how many I use, and is it even worth the trouble? Is there a solution I'm not thinking of?

1 hour ago, Mike516 said:

I contacted this company in Germany. The machines are really nice and shipping is surprisingly reasonable. I was looking at this one http://www.sieck.de/en/machines/strap-strip-belt-cutting/details/5494/ If my math is right, I figured 1020,00 euros would be roughly $1150 to my door.

The downside is, the spacers for their machines only come in metric sizes. They said they could send some 1mm spacers for me to get close to the inches measurements. All my hardware is in inches - 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1.5", etc.

If I'm not mistaken, and someone please tell me I'm wrong, I won't be able to convert those sizes using metric spacers no matter how many I use, and is it even worth the trouble? Is there a solution I'm not thinking of?

Have some made locally? They aren't complicated. The blades are precisely 1mm though, so to cut a 35mm strap for eg you'd use a 34mm spacer, you'd need to factor that in when you work out what spacers to use.

That's a good idea. I wonder what a precision machine shop would charge for something like that. I remember the blade width thing from the Weaver video I watched recently. Took me like 20 minutes to figure out what the heck they were talking about with the 1/16 inch blade thing lol.

I'm thinking about getting a Cobra AK20 also. I was looking at used but I quickly realized people don't tell you the truth when they're trying to sell stuff. It's powered by a motor but it's 2 grand new.

I can get the weaver but that's the same price and not powered. But I heard it's made better. This is such a hard decision. Everyone likes something different.

And the TechSew one I was looking at is like a grand plus $270 shpping because it's in Canada, but now people are telling me TechSew stuff doesn't get good reviews.

9 hours ago, Mike516 said:

Even though it's metric it usually works out that we still use inches in one way or the other. Over here it's called "Zoll" instead of inches and people still wonder why shanks, plumbing etc goes by those measurements. 1/2" is about 13 mm. With burnishing etc you'll come down to 1/2" and so on. Nobody will be able to tell (without measuring it) whether a strap is 40 mm or 1.5".

According to the cutting knives they are using for this individual machine I would agree with cjmt and have the spacers made locally if it has to be precisely in inches. Besides that, I would assume that any shop should be able to use the delivered spacers and re-size them for you, or you ask him if he would able to cut them for you to the metric conversion of the inch.

Here's a chart that makes conversions easier 

conversion-chart-inch-mm.jpg?947

Good chart! Personally I'd get spacers made but stay in metric for ease. I would use a 30.5mm spacer for a 1 1/4" strap for eg which will give a tiny bit of space in the buckle but not too much.

If having them made locally is expensive get a few narrow widths like 10.5mm, you can then use 5 and 10mm spacers in combination with the .5 ones to get the size you want, like 30.5

Thanks guys. Love the chart! I'm going to have to look this all over. Metrics conversions literally gave me a headache yesterday to be honest with you. It might be worth the extra grand to get the cobra which is in inches and avoid all this trouble. We should either all go with Metrics or convert to inches and feet. These two different measurements is kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

Only the USA and two other very small country have not gone metric.  http://gizmodo.com/5786004/these-are-the-three-countries-who-dont-use-the-metric-system  There used to be the complaint that mechanics would have to buy new sets of tools, and on and on.  Now when you work on a car (and many other mechanical devices), you need both sets of tools anyhow.  There are certain items that will never change even under a metric system.  Look at house construction.  All materials are for 16" or 24" centers.  Plywood will continue to be 48" by 96" other than what is available for cabinetry and such work.  Pipe will always be measured in inches.  Three are standards for both metric and English units pipe dimensions, but most usage defaults to English units.

For conversions of inches to or from metric units, your only need to remember one number.  1" = 25.4 mm.  The rest is grade 3 math.

Tom

2 hours ago, northmount said:

Only the USA and two other very small country have not gone metric.  http://gizmodo.com/5786004/these-are-the-three-countries-who-dont-use-the-metric-system  There used to be the complaint that mechanics would have to buy new sets of tools, and on and on.  Now when you work on a car (and many other mechanical devices), you need both sets of tools anyhow.  There are certain items that will never change even under a metric system.  Look at house construction.  All materials are for 16" or 24" centers.  Plywood will continue to be 48" by 96" other than what is available for cabinetry and such work.  Pipe will always be measured in inches.  Three are standards for both metric and English units pipe dimensions, but most usage defaults to English units.

For conversions of inches to or from metric units, your only need to remember one number.  1" = 25.4 mm.  The rest is grade 3 math.

Tom

Despite official claims that the UK converted to metric in the 70s we still have a mixed system. Beer is sold in pints. Road distances in miles, speeds are miles per hour, land for real estate purposes in acres. I'm under 30 and when I was at school Imperial hadn't been taught for a decade but I still picked it up, it's' just too handy to not be able to use both as the situation requires.

3 hours ago, Mike516 said:

Thanks guys. Love the chart! I'm going to have to look this all over. Metrics conversions literally gave me a headache yesterday to be honest with you. It might be worth the extra grand to get the cobra which is in inches and avoid all this trouble. We should either all go with Metrics or convert to inches and feet. These two different measurements is kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

i have quite a few Cobra Machines, and except for some bolts, they are, in a very large part metric.  As to the problem of the spacers not being right or having enough of them; I have seldom, almost never, seen a strap that was cut EXACTLY to the dimension as it was described.  Same goes for most other things in leatherwork.

As far as attaining extra or special size parts for the strap cutter; develop some friendships with folks that have lathes.  Even the most rudimentary lathe can handle cutting down a collar, and once you find the right sized ID pipe to fit your machine (the rod the cutters and collars fit onto), you can make any size collar you want.  You will also want to make a mandrel (same size as the rod the cutters and collars fit onto) that will allow you to run the mandrel in a lathe with the cutters and a few collars mounted and use a simple stone to sharpen them.  In my experience, it takes literally miles (kilometers?) of leather going through an AK-20 to even start thinking about the cutters needing sharpening.  Really, you just need to monitor the cuts, you'll know when it needs sharpening.

Art

There is an Amish outfit on the east coast that makes this same style machine. I picked mine up at an auction and it works beautifully and will outlast me by hundreds of years.  I believe the maker was byler.

I don't need straps cut exactly 1/2", 3/4", 1" etc. I just need them perfectly straight. I use one of those wood strap cutters and the cross piece with the ruler on it wanders a bit when I'm cutting straps. Wasn't a big deal but now with my embosser it has become a problem.

I think it's between these two:

http://www.solar-leather.com/cowboy-strap-cuttter/

http://www.leathermachineco.com/product/cobra-ak-20-leather-strap-cutting-machine/

They look very similar. In fact, the only differences I can see, aside from the table, is the black handle on the right side of the cowboy. And that may be from the angle of the picture. Then the Cobra seems to come with more accessories.

Is there any difference in performance?

Call me naive, but this is the same machine, made by the same manufacturer, for two different companies who each put their name on it? How could that be? You would think someone has a patent on the design.

But now that you mention it, this looks a lot lie another one I saw recently. I think it's called a Leatherpro or something.

The Juki 441 is made as a clone for various retailers like cobra, cowboy, TechSew, sewmac, sieck, brunetti... They are made by 2 companies in China and Japan. The Japan made clone can be found by the name of japsew. I looked into that before I bought my 441 clone. The real difference is the service the retailers offer and some minor adjustments.

Even if there are patents out there, it doesn't matter all that much as most companies like Pfaff, Adler and so on are owned by Shanggong in China. http://www.sgsbgroup.com/en/about.html

So back to your strap cutter. Do you think it's any different with them?

That is interesting. I too bought a Juki and I love it.

But to the point of this discussion; So they're all the same machine with a different table under it. Then I'm likely going to go with the Cobra. I don't like the foot controller and I don't see a need for the light. Plus it looks like the Cobra comes with better accessories and a lifetime warranty.

For 2 grand this thing should stain it, put the buckles on and ship it for me lol.

Thanks for the info Thor.