I had a coworker give me a buckskin side and all he wants in return is a pair of gloves or something made from the leather. I've found some instruction on a pattern and making gloves but most of them are using machines to stitch which I don't have. I am going to hand stitch a pair of them for him, but I have one glove cut out for practice.

Yowza, what is the best way to mark the spacing for my stitching? It seems tougher than veg tanned leather to penetrate with my diamond awl, or maybe just because it is softer.

Avoid using a pricking iron as the slits may tear under tension over time (on something that gets pulled and stretched so much). A pricking iron slit will show through when you stitch grain to grain (stitching is hidden on the inside).

I would use a glovers needle and a overstitch. Never stitched a glove but that would be what I would try.

I saw a pair of gloves once, . . . where the top of the hand, . . . the back of the glove was totally flat.

All the bending and forming was done with the palm piece.

It put all the stiches up on top of the hand (when the palm is laying flat down on a table). They were side by side where the fingers come together, . . . but did not go down into the valley between the fingers.

They looked kinda funky, . . . but that pattern would work form most sewing machines, . . . that is why I even remembered it.

That would be my first look, . . . I'd probably try it in a marine vinyl or something like that first to see how it would work for me.

Good luck, . . . may God bless,

Dwight

Its very difficult to do by machine.. .Or atleast I am finding that and I have a gloving machine. It is better to do by hand. There is an internet book from the 50's which you should be able to download for free somewhere.

In all honesty, make him something else. Gloves are not easy to do and you must prepare the leather in the correct way. Lots of stretching is involved...

If you have a link to the patterns and instructions one on amachine, I would be interested to see them.

The thumb measurements have to be perfect, otherwise you get a hole there....

Alex

Edited by alexitbe

gloves are hard to make,if your patterns are xact i'd find a friendly leather shop with a sewing machine n have them run th edges to be sew'd 6 to th inch no fun there i'd give th hide back. i've made rodeo gloves 1 at a time,sell rh or lh for 3o years n still not me fav task..