rcsaddles

bull ropes

I am wondering if anyone here braids bull ropes. I have never made one and would like all the info I can find about making them. I know a few guys here that ride so I am hoping to maybe break into the market for them and supply ropes for their adventures.

If anyone has any information such as a pattern, lenght, even a supplier for the material to braid them out of I would really appreciate knowing.

Thanks all,

Joe

Joe,

Anything you want to know, feel free to ask away.

Bruce

I have a full spool and a part spool of rope if you want to buy it. It is 5/8 tan polypro. I would throw in my lacing awls if you wish.

I have braided ropes for 12 years but I only have two left to build in my career.

Elton,

You have two left to build? Well, that's planning isn't it? I would assume you know how to braid them then. I also have always wanted to learn how a quality bull rope is made. I would consider purchasing you rope if it comes with instructions for baiding the best bull ropes ever. Why would you stop braiding?

Kevin

I am quitting building ropes because of a lack of time. I am concentrating on building saddles and gear more now than ever. I promised two guys ropes and I told them that they would be the last two I will build...for a while anyways.

I am quitting building ropes because of a lack of time. I am concentrating on building saddles and gear more now than ever. I promised two guys ropes and I told them that they would be the last two I will build...for a while anyways.

I can kind of relate to Elton's take on rope building. It's a tough item to make--real hard on the hands if done right. The market for them has shrunk a bunch, too. On top of that, I've had makers tell me it's real tough to find decent poly anymore.

Except for a few custom makers--Jess Gorley (spins his own rope), Raymond Branch, Dane Livingston, etc., most of the ropes made today are built in Mexico. I think Neal Barstow and his crew still braid in-house, but the rest of the mass-producers go South of the border. There are a few more exceptions, but the Brazilian-style has also come into the mix.

I haven't built a rope in a couple of years now. And, I haven't missed it. Not even for a minute.

I just had always wanted to know how so I need to do it. If I don't get a few done then I won't be able to check it off my list. You know that list, the one you made mentally and its always there.

What is different about the Brazilian style? I just got back from working the PBR and their ropes looked the same as ours.

Edited by okiwen

I just had always wanted to know how so I need to do it. If I don't get a few done then I won't be able to check it off my list. You know that list, the one you made mentally and its always there.

What is different about the Brazilian style? I just got back from working the PBR and their ropes looked the same as ours.

all i know is they pull opposite the regular rope, the handle is pull'd across back to rope eye thus keeping a better position .the handle is closer to the loop when braided other than that alls th same peter john adios

I braid myself and ironically enough talked through email to Bruce in the past quite a (not sure if he remembers) and he helped my tremendously. My name is Josh Duvall and I'm no big time braider but I braid for myself and my buddies. Maybe one of the reasons I really haven't tried to market anything is for the same reason bruce said, the right kind of poly is really really hard to find anymore. Supreme Western Products out of grand prairie texas used to supply the best that I knew of but I've only gotten one spool from them because they aren't that great to deal with. If you don't mind taking th time to really divide up strands then Erin rope company is another good source for good poly just make sure you ask for split film when you order it from them.

Really the braiding isn't that hard to learn and braiding really isn't a hard thing to do but it does get hard on your hands after a while. Lacing can be frustrating at first but it's not too hard to get the hang of. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

the brazil rope handle is same spot on rope as th us type, the block is opposite of th us rope .the rope is pulled opposite of us rope .pete

the brazil rope handle is same spot on rope as th us type, the block is opposite of th us rope .the rope is pulled opposite of us rope .pete

Thank yo for the clarification

"I braid myself and ironically enough talked through email to Bruce in the past quite a (not sure if he remembers) and he helped my tremendously..."

I remember! Good to see you Josh. Welcome to the Forum!

I have a question for anyone who can answer it... how do you know if it is good poly rope before you buy it, and after untwisting all the strands how do you "cure" it before braiding?

thanks vance

I have a question for anyone who can answer it... how do you know if it is good poly rope before you buy it, and after untwisting all the strands how do you "cure" it before braiding?

thanks vance

A good poly should have a firm/hard twist and not be soft and mushy. To be honest the stuff I've gotten recently needs to be hand retwisted (Later, I'll see if I can't post a before and after picture from the rope I'm working on right now) to get it hard enough. It needs to have a good lay to it though so that your body isn't twisting up really bad. It also needs to be a split film or fibrillated (same thing I think) and not monofiliment.

As far as curing, thats just untwisting all your strands and letting them sit for a little while to make sure they don't twist back up on you.

Dusty,

Thanks for the info... thats about exactly what I was looking for... now that that is out how hard is it to retwist the rope. some pics would be great if you had the time thanks again.

vander

Hello All,

Obviously this hasn't been discussed in a while but if anyone is still 'here" I have a question about braiding bull ropes. Is the rosebud knot the starting point from where the rest of the bull rope begins? Also if I try to make the 7 plait bull rope do I collectively tie them all into a rosebud knot? Thanks...I apologive if my questions are unclear.

I used to braid bull ropes until my hands gave out. I had surgery on my hands about 2 years ago and would like to get back into it. Can anyone tell me where i can buy good quality rope ?

Thanks, morris

Good day!

I'm not sure if anyone is still in this post, but I’m wanting to make bull ropes. I rode bulls starting at age 15 until I was 33, managed to ride pro. Always bought ropes from the western store and never thought of making my own. Now I’m wanting to make ropes, and starting from scratch. A way of giving back to help those wanting to ride. Only seen couple guys on YouTube make tutorials on how they make their own. My question: what is the right type of leather to use? Heard 7/8 oz veg-tab for the block and handhold. Also, how long for wide for each would one use (hand hold, inner block, outer block)? I bought a roll of polypropylene Promanila 5/8”, and not sure if this is the proper type. 

Advice would be greatly appreciated.