Chapmaker

Sewing Machine Advice

So I am a chap/chink maker; soft saddlebags pretty regularly, chap alterations, saddle repair, motorcycle seats- just about anything to do with leather I guess. I am using a Reliable MSK 1541s, which is a Juki clone of course. It is really a great machine for what I do. Here is the deal- I want to expand my business into tack (as well as once in a while I am really pushing the limits of my Reliable). I would really like to build breast collars, bronc halters, etc., I already studied the market, and I think I can justify the expansion. My budget is $2500, but I can fudge on that a little if I must. I have considered the Cowboy (3200 or 3500), Cobra (class 3, or 4), Adler is pretty much out of my range, (and I am told that you have to buy every little extra). I am open to suggestions, and advice. I want to be able to sew at least 1/2", but probably not ever more than 3/4". Thanks much.

Being in California, get a hold of Steve at Leather Machine Co. They are in Ontario Ca.. See the advertising banner at the top of the forum pages. I can attest to his service and reputation. He will steer you into the machine that will work the best for your needs. And he will be there if any question or need arises.

jr

Any one have an opinion about the Weaver "Master Lockstitch"? I have a chance to pick up a (supposedly) 2 year old machine for $2000. I am already nervous, he was asking $2500 and accepted my $2000 right away. I have not seen the machine yet. Thoughts?

As JR mentioned, definitely give Steve a call. You can also call Artisan sewing machine. They're in San Francisco. I own two Artisan machines and I have dealt with both Jerry and Steve and I can say I much prefer dealing with Steve. If you don't know how to assess a machine yourself, buying from a reputable dealer is very important.

The Weaver machine you mentioned is basically the same machine as an Artisan Toro 3000/4000 or a Cobra Class 3/4. They're pretty much all the same machine. Individual dealers may make minor modifications to them (like Cobra does not have a bobbin winder on the machine head) but they're pretty much all the same thing.

I recently bought a used Artisan Toro 4000 from an individual for $1000. I saw that it sewed and was working. But when I got it home, I found that the timing was actually a bit off and when I brought it to Artisan, it turns out that someone had modified the hook and the shuttle race was worn etc.. Ended up costing me $700 to fix it up to spec. Still was a decent deal. But no longer a great deal.

Anyways, if you aren't sure what you're doing, definitely give a reputable dealer a call.

Andrew

Thanks for the advice. I do NOT know what I am doing, which is why I am asking for so much advice. I would much rather pay $2395 for what I know to be a new warranted Cobra class 4, than a used unknown Weaver machine. I think I just answered my own question...

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the advice. I do NOT know what I am doing, which is why I am asking for so much advice. I would much rather pay $2395 for what I know to be a new warranted Cobra class 4, than a used unknown Weaver machine. I think I just answered my own question...

Thanks guys.

Yep, however, look at the premium package. If you buy one of those feet or plates later it could very well make up the difference. You get a lot of feet and the stirrup and holster (bag) plate table etc. etc; all will cost an arm and a leg if you buy them later. New needles can solve a bunch of sewing problems, and you get a bunch with the premium package. Overall, it is the best upgrade people wish they had purchased.

Art

class 4 is the best bang fer the buck...if yur ready to pull the trigger...ya might try to find 1 used in yur area...otherwise...pucker up...the shipping is disgusting....course, it takes helluva stout fella to move all of its weight alone...which is made easier via the shipping method...verrrrrry sharp team behind the equipment, and they don't mind calls fer help

I bought my first new machine and its the best money I ever spent from Steve at cobra . any problems were caused by me and Steve straightened it out over the phone . I bought a second new machine from another vendor and have regretted it since it got to my shop . the machine is fine the after the sale service sucked and even the president/ owner of the company was a total ass. Steve STILL helped me straighten it out even though I didnt buy from him I have learned that the sale price of the machine isnt always the only cost involved . Great customer service is also part of what you are paying for and going forward I wont be trying to save a few bucks .... and it ended up costing the same anyway just to get it do what a cobra would do. and when you screw up a project because the machine isnt working right there is yet another cost.

CALL COBRA . and I promise Steve can talk you through any problem you may encounter .

On 5/23/2015 at 11:58 PM, carver said:

I bought my first new machine and its the best money I ever spent from Steve at cobra . any problems were caused by me and Steve straightened it out over the phone . I bought a second new machine from another vendor and have regretted it since it got to my shop . the machine is fine the after the sale service sucked and even the president/ owner of the company was a total ass. Steve STILL helped me straighten it out even though I didnt buy from him I have learned that the sale price of the machine isnt always the only cost involved . Great customer service is also part of what you are paying for and going forward I wont be trying to save a few bucks .... and it ended up costing the same anyway just to get it do what a cobra would do. and when you screw up a project because the machine isnt working right there is yet another cost.

CALL COBRA . and I promise Steve can talk you through any problem you may encounter .

Was that "other vendor" Artisan, by chance?

I would get the class 4 it would be better than the 4500 b/c  the 4500 wables and the class 4 doesn’t plus the class 4is Built like a tank. Buy a new not a used unless you are or want to be a sewing machine mechanic.

1 hour ago, Carson said:

I would get the class 4 it would be better than the 4500 b/c  the 4500 wables and the class 4 doesn’t plus the class 4is Built like a tank. Buy a new not a used unless you are or want to be a sewing machine mechanic.

I thought the Class 4 and CB4500 were essentially the same product.  I have a CB4500 and love it - not a bit of a problem over the past 9 months.

Buy from whomever you feel comfortable dealing with.

Gary

They are the same product but the 4500 table wables when in use or so I have seen.

3 hours ago, Carson said:

They are the same product but the 4500 table wables when in use or so I have seen.

You must have seen a defective unit - I don’t use the table very often, but it is solid as a rock when I install it!

Gary