This case was commissioned by a friend of mine who is getting married in July and will be a gift to her husband-to-be on the morning of the wedding.

What do you guys think?

Hannah_Flask%201%20retouch_zpspcbdyyvw.j

Hannah_Flask%202%20retouch_zpsr5pq844a.j

It is marvelous! I need it! :spoton:

Edited by fgabesz

That is so cool!

Looks great!

I can not figure out the design though. There is no stitch on the bottom as it should be in case of box stitching. Is bottom part molded and has a border that wraps around a flask?

I assume that external part of the case is removable, am I right?

That is beautiful.

Looks great!

I can not figure out the design though. There is no stitch on the bottom as it should be in case of box stitching. Is bottom part molded and has a border that wraps around a flask?

I assume that external part of the case is removable, am I right?

You're along the right lines, Lel.

The grey suede has a canvas lining that prevents the back of the snap from scratching the flask. The grey suede was lined with canvas after the snap was fixed in place, and then wrapped around the flask A strip of the grey suede was glued vertically along the seam on the inside, and then folded over the top edge to cover the seam externally too. The flask was then inserted into the suede 'tube', and the grey suede/canvas lamination was folded over the base of the and glued to a piece of rigid card to form a rigid base. A second piece of card wrapped in the same canvas lining material was then dropped into the 'tube' (after removing the flask) to cover the card mentioned above. Once complete, when the flask is removed, the inside of the 'tube' is fully lined with canvas, and no stitches or snaps are visible.

The leather details were made in three parts: the base; the wrap at the base; and the 'flap' to secure the flask. The flap is a two part lamination as both bottom and top will be visible, whereas the wrap and base as single thickness. To ensure consistency, I spit the leather used for the 'flap' so that the resulting lamination was the same thickness as the wrap and base pieces.

The 'flap' was saddle stitched at 9 spi using a 4 ply thread I wound from upholstery thread (as I couldn't find teal / turquoise thread in the correct thickness). Again for consistency, the base wrap was stitched in the same way. These lines of stitching are purely decorative as I didn't want any stitches visible internally. You're correct that I could have box stitched the base onto the wrap, but as this piece doesn't call for a super strong construction, I'm happy that the adhesives will provide a strong enough joint. There was also no real need to hand stitch this piece, but as I don't own a sewing machine capable of stitching neatly through leather, it was my only option!

I hope this helps to clear up some of your questions!

Madebynick,

Thank you for your detailed explanation. You've put a lot of thought into a design and it shows. Now I want to make something like that.

Madebynick,

Thank you for your detailed explanation. You've put a lot of thought into a design and it shows. Now I want to make something like that.

You're very welcome! Just make sure you share what you come up with!