Album here.

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I last posted, and honestly I haven't been doing much. Unfortunately hobbies take money, and there just hasn't been enough to spend on hobbies lately.

This was inspired by a member on another site showing his 3D printed belt template. I have enough knowledge of CAD products to be dangerous, so I figured I'd give it a try. The linked album was the result.

I used Sketchup, which I knew nothing about. After following the first 3 how-to's they have, this is what I came up with. Initially I tried importing my existing CAD template, but Sketchup wouldn't allow me to push/pull to make a 3d object.

I think this took me about 30 minutes or so to whip up. Now that I know what to do it shouldn't take more than 5 for the other templates I have planned. The most complicated part was getting the point right. None of the arcs would make this type of English point. What I wound up doing is drawing an equilateral rectangle, then two circles centered on two points, then breaking everything outside of the intended point.

Also, Sketchup doesn't have the ability to save in STL file format, which is what most 3d printers read. I had to install the "Sketchup STL" extension, which gave me the ability to export the STL file.

I might make a 2nd version of this template. The holes are a tad too big for my scratch awl to properly/accurately center. If you're wondering about the odd length, it's because of the print area that's available on the 3d printer I used. The print field is 6"x6"x10", but max size on your parts can only be 1/4" less than that. I could have printed it vertically, but that would have required a support structure which I wasn't too interested in creating.

If you have access to a 3d printer, give this a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Interesting application of a 3D printer. I'll have to get one sometime. Ive not used sketchup much other than to make 3D views of PCB designs. If it has a spline function you could make half the point with a spline or arc and then copy and mirror the curve around the centre line. If it has functions for that. That would give you a curve with a point at the tip.

Thanks for sharing :)

Try FreeCAD, its an open source 3D CAD program and can output stl files.

http://www.freecadweb.org/

very nice, what printer do you have? Home or industrial model?

Interesting application of a 3D printer. I'll have to get one sometime. Ive not used sketchup much other than to make 3D views of PCB designs. If it has a spline function you could make half the point with a spline or arc and then copy and mirror the curve around the centre line. If it has functions for that. That would give you a curve with a point at the tip.

Thanks for sharing :)

Try FreeCAD, its an open source 3D CAD program and can output stl files.

http://www.freecadweb.org/

I didn't even think about a spline; that would definitely work. I'll give FreeCAD a look. I also use DraftSight.

very nice, what printer do you have? Home or industrial model?

Thanks! It's an Afinia H480, whether or not that's industrial I don't know. We have several at the college were I work.

Edited by Calvus

I've thought about getting a 3D printer. Do you think that the material would work to print out designs to stamp into leather with an arbor press? I know its not going to last like brass or other metals that you cut a design from a CNC machine (which I would also like). From the videos I've watched 3D printing is a lot quieter than any CNC machine and noise is a factor for me.

I've thought about getting a 3D printer. Do you think that the material would work to print out designs to stamp into leather with an arbor press? I know its not going to last like brass or other metals that you cut a design from a CNC machine (which I would also like). From the videos I've watched 3D printing is a lot quieter than any CNC machine and noise is a factor for me.

I'd say that it might take some pressing, but not much hammering. Definition might not be what you'd want, but that could be the fineness of the prints that I've done. As for noise, the model I used isn't bad. Our CNC machines are much louder.