Very nice looking bag...I love the color! Fantastic!

Very nice bag! I think it turned out great!

Karina

Very nice. I went to your link and enjoyed following your process. I chuckled at the "oh sh_t!" moments during your process,as I have had so many of those.

Edited by midwestislander

Thank you all for your kind words

Very nice. I went to your link and enjoyed following your process. I chuckled at the "oh sh_t!" moments during your process,as I have had so many of those.

Yeah "oh sh_t" moments is what really helps your learn things the hard way.

Yeah "oh sh_t" moments is what really helps your learn things the hard way.

I've found that to be absolutely true, because you REMEMBER when you screwed up something like that. ;) Beautiful work!

Wow, that's a fantastic bag. I can't believe the color came out so well. It looks like pre-dyed Horween leather or something. I really enjoyed the pictures of your process as well. I'm still looking through it, but I've already seen some helpful ideas.

Wow, that's a fantastic bag. I can't believe the color came out so well. It looks like pre-dyed Horween leather or something. I really enjoyed the pictures of your process as well. I'm still looking through it, but I've already seen some helpful ideas.

Thanks! The color is actually a bit lighter than what I aimed for but you never know exactly what you end up when you dye. That being said I really the color I ended up with.

I have a couple of questions about this bag.

1. The shoulder strap attaches to the bag at the back. Is there a reason for this? how would things be different if the strap were to attach at the sides?

2. What is the purpose of the side straps?

3 The sides (the gusset) seems to bulge out from the bag. Maybe this is only when empty. Would it make sense if the flap were a bit wider so that is could cover this space?

The bag is made based on the design of a old U.S mail bag which was meant for heavy duty use. The different design features must therefore be for either strength or ease of use.

1. Having the strap attached to the bag makes it easier to open. If they were in the side the flap would rub against the straps.

2. When the bag is full it is the side straps that takes the load and not the stitching at the top of the gusset. Some of the older bags also have a rivet at the four top corners of the gusset to further strengthen it.

3.When there is something in the bag the bulging will be less. You could make the flap a bit wider no problem. This was actually something i thought about doing myself.

Great looking bag! Thanks for going to the trouble of putting up and providing your pattern. Looking forward to seeing what comes next

I'm pretty happy with the result allthough I made som mistakes along the way. You can see a ton of pictures of the process along with the pattern here: http://andersenleather.blogspot.dk/2015/05/us-mail-bag.html

DSC_2467.JPG

DSC_2478.JPG

DSC_2481.JPG

Now that is a nice bag ! Is it hand stitched ?

Now that is a nice bag ! Is it hand stitched ? It never occurred to me to do welting like that ! Can I ask what are you selling it for ?

Now that is a nice bag ! Is it hand stitched ? It never occurred to me to do welting like that ! Can I ask what are you selling it for ?

Thank you! Yes it is hand stitched. As this bag is for myself I dont sell it. I havent sold anything this big so I dont know what it should costs.

would you post a picture of you with the bag over your shoulder? I find it difficult to judge the size of a bag without a human model. thanks so much!

That's beautiful; I think the decision to add the welts was a good one. Thanks for the meticulous photos and the pattern! I may try my hand at a similar bag.

Edited by doe

That is a very nice looking bag. Well done.

Jonasbo, very nice work! What leather did you use? Style and weight wise? Thanks, Josh

Thank you Josh. I used 2mm natural veg tan shoulder which I dyed.

That is a very nice looking bag. Well done.

Thank you :)

So I am new, and maybe wanting to try a bag like this. Can somebody please tell me what the welts are for? Why use them? Are the functional or decorative? Thank you guys for all of the help. Josh

Magnificent bag .I very much enjoyed your post !THANK YOU!!!!! If you cut a piece of scrap and put it over your copper rivets with the proper size hole then cut off leaving a little . Then file down flush with the scrap taking care not to damage surrounding leather( bigger scrap piece might be necessary) . Now remove scrap and dome .This gives a very nice finished look and all your posts are the same height . Just a few extra steps make for a very classy finish .I am very impressed with this . WELL DONE !