gmace99

How I Sharpen My Round Knife Video

I did a youtube video showing how I sharpen my round knife. Hope this is of some use to someone.

Edited by gmace99

So you don't put any oil on the stone each time you use it?

No I only re oil the stone on occasions. That stone is easily 12 years old and was a cheap stone off a market stall. What I did in the beginning was put lots of three in one oil on the stone. As you can see the stone has very little wear. I think this is because of the amount of oil I put into it.

I do use my stone often and sharpen my knifes. More so my clicker knife. My round knife must be 30 years old I only sharpen that about once a month. I use my round knife almost every day, however I polish it more than I sharpen it. The reason I polish is because it is the grease and dirt that makes it feel blunt but as soon as I buff it it becomes a very sharp knife and no need to work on the stone.

When I first bought my round knife the maker honed the front inch I put it on the grinder and honed from the back all the way to the front.

Edited by gmace99

Thanks.

I really appreciate the time you took to do this. I bought a round knife (British ;) ), but I have not used it since I was too scared of amaging the cutting edge... I will finally give it a go thanks to your video

Cheers

Alex

Alex you will find it a great knife to use. It is the knife I use the most.

Useful video. I've watch some of your other videos too - thanks for sharing your experience :) Love the huge "buff stick" strop - wish I'd thought of doing that instead of cutting a good belt down to fit a shorter stick.

Where do you get your tallow fat & carborundum powder? (Lard & residue from a wet sharpening wheel?!)

I suppose that is a traditional alternative to modern blocks of "compound"/"rouge" - probably similar to the coarser grey compounds.

Was surprised that you used the plain leather before the compound side of your buff stick. Is that just to remove any burr? I usually do it the other way round, my thinking being that the grinding paste is coarser than plain leather (that's why I use it) so it should be used first; and also the plain leather helps clean the compound off the blade. Also, my compound loaded strop is rough side out (although it is no longer rough) and the plain strop is shiny skin side out.

Excellent video. I will be picking up both a round knife and stone now. :thumbsup: