Finished up this journal for a client as a gift to her manager at work. I love making these things! Very happy with the colors on this one!

post-60801-0-21428300-1432746337_thumb.j

post-60801-0-50939000-1432746357_thumb.j

post-60801-0-70866800-1432746366_thumb.j

That's a cracking bit of workmanship that is!

Exceptional work, I really like it!

VERY NICE!!

I like the inlay line.

How do you do that?

The tooling looks great!

What leather did you use?

Thanks,

Phill

The inlay is very good.

Very nice journal.

Very nice! I love the tooling, and it must have been nerve-wracking making that cut or groove through the dye and finish.

I so want to make some of these journal covers. It's definitely on my To Do list for the summer.

Great work and I love the tooling and as everyone else has mentioned that inlay line. So straight and sharp!

I'm wondering if you laid out the line for the groove with dividers or some other method, then used a freehand groover to do it. Or if you used a groover with a guide around the entire thing.

Either way, it looks good.

I always hate to take a groover to already dyed leather. I've made enough errors with one, it will probably be a while before I try to use it as a highlight feature like you did.

Also, what dye did you use? I notice that you used the same purple (at least it looks purple on my screen) in the background of your tooling as on the main body of the cover. That's a very neat touch.

Edited by byggyns

VERY NICE!!

I like the inlay line.

How do you do that?

The tooling looks great!

What leather did you use?

Thanks,

Phill

Thank you Phill. The inlay line is done with a stitching groover. I use 6-7oz premium herman oak leather for these.

The inlay is very good.

Thanks!

Very nice journal.

Thank you!

Very nice! I love the tooling, and it must have been nerve-wracking making that cut or groove through the dye and finish.

Thanks! It's actually a very easy process using the stitching groover since it has a guide to run along the edge.

I so want to make some of these journal covers. It's definitely on my To Do list for the summer.

Great work and I love the tooling and as everyone else has mentioned that inlay line. So straight and sharp!

Thanks a lot! Definitely make some, they're a blast!

I'm wondering if you laid out the line for the groove with dividers or some other method, then used a freehand groover to do it. Or if you used a groover with a guide around the entire thing.

Either way, it looks good.

I always hate to take a groover to already dyed leather. I've made enough errors with one, it will probably be a while before I try to use it as a highlight feature like you did.

Also, what dye did you use? I notice that you used the same purple (at least it looks purple on my screen) in the background of your tooling as on the main body of the cover. That's a very neat touch.

I used a guided stitching groover for all of it, even the bit along the corner shield. Makes it fairly easy to not make a mess. I used Fiebings Chocolate Oil Dye for this one. The light outside made it look purple for some reason, but it's a deep chocolate brown. I love the way the colors came out!