Dan28

Two New Carry On Bags For Upcoming Flight (Duffel Bag & Messenger Bag)

I haven't really made anything this year after spending tons of time last year making all my Christmas gifts. Needed a break to catch up with some other stuff.

I'm going to Ireland in July and needed some luggage. I saw that my current daily messenger bag (my first bag) would not meet the carry on requirements for the airline. So I decided to make one that would. I also don't really want to check a bag and risk losing it, so I decided to make a duffel bag that I could carry on with me. I finished the new messenger bag about two weeks ago and have been using it since to break in so to speak. I almost finished the duffel yesterday. I finished the main bag with about two feet of thread left. Had to order some more waxed poly from Maine Thread Co. I just need to stitch the strap and it will be done.

The messenger bag is mostly 8 oz leather, with pig skin lining, brass hardware a few copper rivets, with a clasp and accent dragon that I powder coated with "veined copper" powder. The brass d-rings are 1 inch, the strap buckle and clasps are 1 1/4 inch. The dimensions are roughly 12 inches wide by 9 1/2 inches tall and about 5 inches deep. The dye is mostly Fiebings saddle tan, however I mixed in some denatured alcohol and a bit of Fiebings Ox Blood to get the color it has.

The duffel bag's main body and sides are made from 8 oz leather. The top is made from 6 oz leather. I wet formed the sides of the duffel bag. It used up basically one whole uncut piece of pig skin for the main lining The sides were lined separately. The deminsions are roughly 20 1/2 inches long, 9 1/4 inches tall, and about 10 1/2 wide. I used brass hardware, copper rivets, and some regular rapid rivets that I powder coated in the same veined copper powder as the other bag. While the strap isn't done, it will be using 1 1/2 inch brass hardware, the buckle will be a center bar buckle though. The dye is Fiebings Walnut.

I got my leather, pig skin, dye and clasp from Springfield Leather. I may have gotten that dragon accent piece there too, or maybe from Tandy, I've had it in my hardware bin for a while. The brass hardware came from Buckleguy. All the rivets, copper and rapid came from Tandy. I used waxed poly chord form Maine Thread Co. On the messenger bag, its their .040 size and my stitching holes are 4mm. The duffel bag has .045 waxed poly chord with 5mm stitching holes.

med_gallery_53023_2718_715743.jpg

med_gallery_53023_2718_938989.jpg

med_gallery_53023_2718_1201552.jpg

med_gallery_53023_2718_556730.jpg

med_gallery_53023_2718_450782.jpg

med_gallery_53023_2718_959150.jpg

med_gallery_53023_2718_815804.jpg

med_gallery_53023_2718_91621.jpg

med_gallery_53023_2718_652098.jpg

More pics.

med_gallery_53023_2718_876285.jpg

med_gallery_53023_2718_370353.jpg

med_gallery_53023_2718_250976.jpg

med_gallery_53023_2718_988762.jpg

med_gallery_53023_2718_6321.jpg

The straps on both bags are 4/5 oz leather laminated together.

Those are absolutely beautiful. Extremely nice work!

I see some things I might have done differently, and things I could nit pick but wouldn't dream of on a project that big and such nice results. Cheryl

Dan, those are super cool. I'm jealous - I want my own all leather luggage. Those are not trivial projects, either.

Thanks guys. There are some issues/mistakes there, Some how one of the side panels had a couple more stitching holes than the other on the duffel. I'm sure they are the exact same length. I cut my pig skin lining a little long near the lid, so there is about a half inch plus cut right at the bend. My middle strap was originally longer I also put the buckle tongue a little high so its kind of a hair hard to buckle. I don't think the leather will stretch to make it easier as it ages, as I sandwiched polyester webbing in that strap to keep it from stretching.

Hey Dan...did you use a pattern for the messenger bag at all, or was it just "all thought up in your head"? Nice looking work!

Kevin

Love them! :)

Hey Dan...did you use a pattern for the messenger bag at all, or was it just "all thought up in your head"? Nice looking work!

Kevin

Just kind of sketched dimensions on a piece of paper and figured out my measurements there. I did make a pattern for the handle though, as that was the first time I had ever attempted that style of handle. I used that same handle pattern to make the handle for the duffel bag, but I modified it a little so that the pieces that fold around and are stitched together are angled on the ends, though it looked better that way. I also made a pattern for my middle strap on the duffel bag and for the pieces that hold my D-rings. The D-Ring holders started out as a pentagon, that I rounded the ends. The middle strap was some stock crescent moon shape from Photoshop or Paintshop Pro that I printed and modified a little.

Left out that I made a pattern for the pieces that hold down the straps on the duffel bag too, but even with the pattern, they are all kind of unique due to a little variance on my cutting.

Edited by Dan28

awesome

Great gob, Dan! Both bags look very nice. I especially like the duffel bag.

Did you use a veg tanned leather? If you did then what kind of dyes and finishes did you use?

Really nice on both pieces. I'm particularly fond of the messenger bag, it's a nice beefy design. I really like the colors of they dye and hardware. Well done!

Bill

Great gob, Dan! Both bags look very nice. I especially like the duffel bag.Did you use a veg tanned leather? If you did then what kind of dyes and finishes did you use?

Yes it is veg tan, Hermann Oak is the tannery its from, which coincidentally is located about a mile or so North of the background the pics were taken from. I don't buy enough leather at one time to get it directly from them though. I have only been doing leatherwork for about a year, and so far all I've worked with has been Veg tan.

The messenger bag, was mostly Fiebings Saddle Tan dye that I mixed with some Fiebings Ox Blood and a pinch of denatured alcohol to give a little red tinge. That one has several coats of neatsfoot oil rubbed in and probably one or two of mink oil after I carried it a few days. I generally commute to work on a motorcycle with no storage and use the bag to carry a few things I use at work.

The duffel uses Fiebings Professional Oil Dye in Walnut. It also has Fiebings Mink Oil rubbed into it but nothing else. I considered putting a coat of Resolene on it but decided I did not want the shiny look on this one. I made another bag last year in the same color (from the same bottle of dye, 32 oz) with roughly the same leather that I did put Resolene on. I'll pull the picture out of my gallery.

med_gallery_53023_2281_1244900.jpg

Edited by Dan28

As with the others, I'm blown away, These bags, both of them are Super Nice, Clean

I'm especially fond of your mixed color on the messenger bag.

Alot of work went into these and you should be quite proud ! --- Wild Bill46

Most people have to keep a close watch on their bags in airports so that they aren't stolen for the contents. YOU may have to keep an close watch on your bags, or you may find contents left behind and bags gone! (Just sayin' )

Bill

Thanks Bills (both Wild and regular :spoton: ) I finished the strap up last week, and wish I had moved the side d-rings on the duffel up a little more. I didn't want them to interfere with the side flaps but the balance is just a bit off. Its okay against your body when carrying it because it will stay right side up then, but as you go to take it off the shoulder, it wants to roll. I probably could have moved those d-rings up maybe half an inch without them hitting the flap. Those are 1 1/4 inch d-rings, I might have used 1 inch versions too.

This is magnificient work !

I've been thinking about such a project and have a pretty good idea of the work involved :)

What keeps me from going forward with it is that I'm worried about the "weatherproofing" of the bags... Like you, Dan, I've only been working with Veg Tan leather and I never did anything that would really have to be used outside (or couldn't be hidden in a pocket or under a coat).

From your usage of the bags up to now (and the products you've used (neatsfoot and mink oil))... how would they turn out if they were caught in the rain ???

Thanks Robin.

Fullmetalsam, thanks as well. Regarding the weather proofing, I'm not very sure. I've only been doing this about a year. I also normally don't use my Neatsfoot oil too much because I don't like the smell. I used it this time on the messenger bag because I've heard it can darken your leather a bit and I was trying to do that. I think Resolene or similar acrylic finish might help but it will give your leather a shine. Many here are more knowledgeable on the subject than me. The duffel bag has only been outside once. I've been using the messenger bag now and it might have gotten sprinkled on once but not soaked.

My first messenger bag that I made last year is similar to the one in this pic in the dye and several mink oil applications every so often. I've been caught out in fheavy rain on my motorcycle with that bag about 3 times where it got really wet. It dried out and seems fine to me. I don't have that one at work with me now or I'd take a pic and show its "after" look. Here it is when I made it.

gallery_53023_2281_386313.jpg