plinkercases

Removing Copper Rivets...not That I Need To.....duh

I love copper rivets for the very reason I am now trying to defeat. I need to remove one. luckily the late night gaff was on a work horse belt for myself and I can live with the Persian flaw but it got me thinking about the best way to remove a copper rivet. I am now adept and Dremel grinding off standard old rivets but I would assume it take much more grinding thus heat on the leather to take the peen off a properly installed copper rivet.

Any suggestions from others who have never needed to remove one to correct an error?

Any help (and jests) will be accepted with appreciation and a sense of humour.

thanks.

Edited by plinkercases

I've took a bunch of them out over the years. What i do is tap the peen end to get a flat spot. Then take a punch and make a dimple in the rivet and drill it till the washer comes off / loose and then knock the rivet out. I have read where others say they grind the peened end smooth and then knock the rivet out. Never tried that though.

That sounds like a good approach as I think it may be less heat drilling and easier to control than grinding. I may just test one on a scarp.

Ground the peen end off with a dremel ...took a while and the leather got a little warm. Not enough to damage i don't think but it worked in a pinch.

The other way with a drill press. Worked much faster obviously cleaner job too. The dremel kept sliding around and i scuffed the leather a couple times. (flesh side and was hidden).

I would recommend a drill over a dremel.

I use a punch to make a dent in the flat side, then I drill it out being careful to stay in the center. Once you get through (for the most part) you can pull it apart with needle nosed pliers.

Similar to above but on the flat side which seems like an easier side to get a pilot punch and drill started.

Thanks everyone.

Now if I EVER make a mistake I will know what to try.........

Old hoof trimming nippers may also work with those, a saddle maker I know uses them on regular rivets.

I wonder where to get those?

They cost a bit too much just to use them on metal, so you probably would want to get some old ones from a farrier

you just need a pair of undercutting pliers (i.e. dikes). I usually get underneath the washer on the flesh side to cut it off.

There's a much easier and cleaner way to do this.

Get something like a cutting board and drill a hole in it about the size of the rivet post head (and a tiny bit bigger). Place your piece on top of that so the washer side is up and the rivet post head is over the hole. Then take a drive punch about the size of the rivet post (a little smaller) and punch down on the post. Most of the time, the rivet will punch cleanly out and the leather will not be damaged.

I've tried the drilling thing and it just ruins the leather with the heat. This way is much cleaner and easier.

Andrew

you just need a pair of undercutting pliers (i.e. dikes). I usually get underneath the washer on the flesh side to cut it off.

They would have less leverage than a pair of nippers but yes that would work too, same concept.