Katja1970

Greetings From Holland

Hi all. My name is Katja and I'm just starting with leatherwork. Well actually not yet, I'm going to buy my tools comming week and I am really excited.

I know I can learn a lot here, so thank you all in advance. As soon as I will have something finished I will post it on this forum to learn from your tips.

Meanwhile I will read the posts from other leatherworkers. Looking foreward to get to know you all.

Untill then

Greetings from Holland

Hi all. My name is Katja and I'm just starting with leatherwork. Well actually not yet, I'm going to buy my tools comming week and I am really excited.

I know I can learn a lot here, so thank you all in advance. As soon as I will have something finished I will post it on this forum to learn from your tips.

Meanwhile I will read the posts from other leatherworkers. Looking foreward to get to know you all.

Untill then

Greetings from Holland

Welcome to the forum, we'll be glad to help you learn the craft, and look forward to seeing your projects

Hello Katja and welcome to the forum. I am also excited for you...........good luck and have fun!

Welcome You will like this site lots of good information on it

Thank you for youw welcome, Twin Oaks, King's X and gmace99. There is indeed a ton of info out here, glad I found this Forum. I've started digging through it all day and I barely scratched the surface. Many many happy hours to read here.

Hi Katja, welcome .

Here another one from Holland .

Where do you buy your tools?

Hello Joquarter. I have not yet bought my tools, will be doing this next week. A friend of mine advised me Berten leder in Zonhoven Belgium or Boomsma in Breda. I will go to Berten, I've heard that they have a lot of stuff there and are always helpfull with tips and advice. Where do you buy your things?

Hello Katja,

Most of it I bought from Berten , a little bit from Boosma and if they don't have what I need , I order it at Tandy europe ore Weaver.

Buying tools can be fun and expensive. Start of with a basic set of tools then add to them as you need them.

The problem with tools is you can end up spending lots and lots of money on them.

I must have thousands of pounds worth of tools. And I do use them all regularly. I will attach two pictures of some of my tools. I also have a box full of tools and 4 sewing machines. I did have 5 sewing machines but I sold my harness sewing machine (No6) to someone in Holland a few months ago.

The good thing about having tools is the satisfaction you will have when you make something using them.

post-39106-0-54462200-1433367785_thumb.j

post-39106-0-29545900-1433367813_thumb.j

Wow gmace99. That is a lot of tools you got there. I will try to only buy a starterset, but you never know once you get there. At least I set myself a limit for my budget, so I do not go overboard in spending money.

Katja , the first thing I bought , was a starterset, the book leather art and craft, Highlighter, super sheen , 2 smal bottles of oil dye.

I think it will also be smart to buy a keen edger, a modeling tool with a spoon and a ball, an edge slicker, an adjustable groover, a spacer set ,an awl and some small needles and waxed thread. jewelers rouge to keep your swifle knife sharp.

Perhaps you can look some how to videos at tandyleather.

As tracing paper I use pergamano paper , works great.