Sign in to follow this  
DrmCa

Should Pfaff 335 Have A Needle Bar Thread Guide?

There is a tapered grove on the left side of the needle bar as in the attached picture.

Should there be also a thread guide as for example in Juki 553 to guide the thread onto that grove?

I did some googling but could not find any hi res pictures of the needle bar with any guides.

Thank you!

post-62673-0-87334900-1433248341_thumb.j

DrmCa,

Yes, there should be a thread guide on that needle bar. I will check and see if I can find one. Send us a pic of the other side of the needle bar.

glenn

See attached, it appears the needle bar thread guide is broken off from the needle bar.

post-14272-0-66187800-1433276461_thumb.j

Does not look broken, maybe grinded off cleanly. Or may be there are different styles of the needle bars out there?

post-62673-0-28079100-1433290449_thumb.j

Every 335 I have had (that's been several) have all had a thread guide at the bottom of the needle bar. That said, I guess there are bound to be exceptions to the mainstream however.

Does not look broken, maybe grinded off cleanly. Or may be there are different styles of the needle bars out there?

Interesting, I'm not really sure, Pfaff does offer for some subclass machines a needle bar without guide. Maybe it was replaced with one of these?

The needle guide is was indeed part of the needle bar. Yours was there and broke off and was reground to look smooth. You might be able to get a Juki or Singer small needle guide to fit. Otherwise, it means a new needle bar! I would try the Juki or Singer bottom needle guide first. Cheaper. It may require you using the needle set screw to hold the guild on as well as the needle.

glenn

Juki and Singer needle bars are not going to work here, find a suitable replacement, or just use the machine as it is, many machines with broken needle bar thread guides are out there working just fine. Not ideal, but not worth ripping the machine apart for either unless you feel necessary.

I think Glenn meant the thread guide of the Singer 111 needle bar.

Like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer111-Consew-225Needle-Bar-Thread-Guide-240499-2pcs-/270478405527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ef9c4ef97

Another idea would be the Singer thread cutter, it slides over the needle bar and you can use it as a thread guide.

I don´t know if these are different types for different diameter needle bars but this would be an easy fix. ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-SEWING-MACHINE-221-FEATHERWEIGHT-THREAD-CUTTER-SIMANCO-/361176831515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5417d1161b

If you don't want to replace the needle bar ( had did when my thread guide broke and it took me a while to retime the thing) you could try wrapping a zip tie around the needle bar right there and using that as a thread guide. Might work ok...

Andrew

Got it. The machine stitches fine without the guide, so I'll take a wait and see approach.