deloeracustoms

Best Place To Sell Holsters Online?

Hi everyone, first post on the site. Lots of great stuff here!

Anyway, I started making holsters a few weeks ago for family and friends, but I'd like to broaden my exposure. Where's the best place to sell holsters online? I've got some on Ebay and Etsy (surprisingly they have a lot of holster listings there) but I don't seem to be getting much traction... any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I sell most of my stuff on my local gun forum. I also list it on the manufacturers forum, for example if its a holster for a Ruger I'll put it on Ruger forum and a S&W I'd put on the S&W forum. I've also gotten exposure on Facebook by posting pictures of stuff I've made and had people call me to order.

I stopped doing EBAY years ago due to the importance they place on feedback and the change in seller feedback policies. I would probably never do that again.

I use my own website and ETSY as a store to list items that are completed and ready for sale. I have found that when inventory dips below 150 items sales slow down drastically. One of the reasons ETSY has been good for me is because I do almost every gun show I can get into within a certain radius, about 400 miles. Gun shows have made a major difference in my store traffic. It was a lot of work and time but has paid off this last year.

While on the road I stop at all sporting goods and gun stores passing out cards to whomever will take them. I go through 1500 to 200 cards a year.

Make sure you price yourself according to the quality of work you are doing. Being the same price as a better made item will result in few sales. If you beginner work (as I did) price it as such.

I would be considered a novice, but I'd like to think that I do good work. I've left a link to my website below... admittedly some of my first holsters weren't "up to par" (including my very first which is on the website, I'll let yall figure out which one that is) but some of my later stuff is there as well. Feedback and suggestions are appreciated.

www.deloeracustoms.com

Edited by deloeracustoms

I consider myself new as well.....so listen to others over me.

A quick look at the website.......biggest thing.....no prices.....me personally, I always leave when no prices are visible. It leaves me with the impression that a strong salesman awaits a contact.......just my opinion

Good thought...

I was afraid that would be folks initial impression, but I've been trying to nail down my price point before committing to it on the website.

I've been selling belt slides anywhere from $30-$45 and the Avenger style has been going from $40-$60 plus shipping.

Any thoughts there?

1. Your own site. You can start from blogspot and grow from there.

2. Gunbroker. This is a good way to reach wide audience IMO.

Been on eBay for 3 years. Here are some tips. Feedback is a big deal. More good feedback equals more sales and faster sales. Pick your price and list it. Be careful playing the bottom dollar game. I did it for a while to coax sales and feedback. Still competitive there but some are cheaper. I refuse to give them away and price what I want for it and do fine. I actually charge slightly more for some things on eBay to cover fees. Next biggest sales place is a local NC gun board. After that a scattering of local business. I don't do a website because I do this on the side. I don't want unrestricted order taking. Not sure I could keep up. Plus a dedicated site is another thing to do which means I'm not doing holsters. Works for me.

I started off a little over 3-1/2" years ago selling on gun board forums such as sigforum.com, glocktalk.com, 1911forum.com and HKpro.com to build up a reputation and get feedback as a holster maker. What was really important for me was to talk to members on those forums and see and hear what they liked and didn't like on a particular design of mine. I was already members on those forums for years before I got into holster making so it was pretty easy to sell a holster or 2 a week on those forums. It was just a hobby at the time so I really didn't want a website. Once I decided to go full time holster making I started up my own website and online store.

The best internet sales will be via a website (your "store" showing what you offer, what you charge, and how long it will take to receive an order). The challenge is in driving traffic to the website.

Yahoo offers webhosting at very reasonable rates (about $119 per year) and has free site-building tools that allow you to create your own site quickly and easily, as well as manage and maintain the site. Also included are business e-mail accounts for responses, inquiries, and ordering. Basically, your "store" will cost you less than $10 per month to keep the doors open and communications flowing.

Getting traffic onto your website can be done by being active on forums and blogs that are focused on the shooting sports (competition, hunting, etc), firearms in general, firearms by manufacturer, self-defense, and concealed carry. There are dozens of such forums, and selecting those that are most closely related to the market niche for your products is the key. Once you become active on a forum other members will start noticing your name and business, visit your website, hopefully start ordering, and ideally making their own posts reviewing your products (which can be positive or negative, of course).

Auction sites such as eBay and GunBroker may provide some action. But many of those shopping such sites are bargain hunters, looking for cheap deals. On the other hand, some will take note of what you are offering and send inquiries for other designs or products.

I started on-line marketing on eBay and GunBroker, moving a few every week. I made holsters in designs of general interest for the more common handguns, listing them as they were completed, and just about everything sold (although the sale prices were not what I would like to have received). The positive side was a steady flow of inquiries for holsters made for different guns, holsters in different finish colors, and related products (belts, mag pouches, cartridge pouches, etc). This gave me a good handle on market demand (specific holster designs, which handguns people were wanting holsters for, etc) thus allowing me to build my product line accordingly. When I put up the website I had a selection of products that met a broad range of market demand. Beyond that it was a matter of gaining brand name recognition and a reputation for completing and filling orders in a timely manner.

I started with relatively simple products at modest prices. Over time I expanded the product line to include more elaborate products, and gradually moved prices upward based on a simple evaluation of order volume vs. production capacity and my willingness to work. Assuming that 100 people per week want what you make, and your ability to produce is limited to 20 per week, you need to find the price point at which order volume correlates to production capacity.

Another factor that comes into play is the waiting time. Some folks want what they want right now. Some are willing to wait a couple of weeks. Some may be willing to wait a month, and so forth. As your order backlog increases your production capacity will dictate how long each customer will have to wait. As wait times increase you will see order volume decline.

It is a delicate balancing act. When prices are too high order volume drops off. When wait times become too long order volume declines. Matching these factors against your ability to complete orders will define the best possible balance.

It helps to constantly remember that you must produce as promised. If you tell a customer to expect a 4 week wait, then deliver in 3 weeks, everything is good. If you promise 4 weeks and deliver in 29 days your are a low-life bottom-feeding cheat and a fraud to many people. In other words, learn to under-promise and over-deliver. It is better to lose a sale from time to time than it is to develop a negative reputation, which will cost you far more in future sales.

Financial control is essential. You must remember at all times that what you have been paid has not been earned until the order is completed and delivered. Business expenses come first (materials, supplies, everything that is needed in the shop every day to keep production moving). There can be no profit to spend on anything else until the bills are paid. There are many more skilled and talented leather craftsmen than there are good business managers. And don't forget about taxes, business licenses, insurance, and all the other requirements to keep a business alive and well. As a business owner you control all the money, but you are the last person to get paid. In the event something prevents you from completing an order (illness, injury, family emergency, etc) you must be ready, willing, and able to send a refund immediately.

A final word of advice is to keep your telephone number(s) private. Many customers can act like children in the back seat of the car on a long road trip (Are we there yet? When are we gonna get there? Are we there yet? When..................?). Others will call just to chat, or discuss an idea they have had, or want a status report on their orders. I have found that there is a new graduating class from Holster Genius School every week, and each of them has an idea for "the perfect holster" that they are looking for someone to make for them. I receive 350-plus e-mails per week from my website, and I spend 30-plus hours reading and replying, answering questions, acknowledging orders, and sending out completion notifications. If I took telephone calls from a fraction of those people there would be no time left to do production work.

Best regards.

Financial control is essential. You must remember at all times that what you have been paid has not been earned until the order is completed and delivered. Business expenses come first (materials, supplies, everything that is needed in the shop every day to keep production moving). There can be no profit to spend on anything else until the bills are paid. There are many more skilled and talented leather craftsmen than there are good business managers. And don't forget about taxes, business licenses, insurance, and all the other requirements to keep a business alive and well. As a business owner you control all the money, but you are the last person to get paid. In the event something prevents you from completing an order (illness, injury, family emergency, etc) you must be ready, willing, and able to send a refund immediately.

This was actually worth repeating. Money isn't counted until the order is completed and delivered and it isn't completed and delivered until the customer has it in his hand and approves of it.

I've seen people begin to work with leather (it happens in other fields too) and have a little success. Sometimes, they see 'expenses' as simply more leather, bigger sewing machine, more awe-some-er tools / tooling, etc. But more than once these people forget the "back end" of this ... you must be ready, willing, and able to send a refund immediately.

Something should be 'in reserve'. I've seen people spend money they made legitimately. Doesn't matter why ... more materials, bigger tooling.. anything they perceive as "business" expense. But then there's a customer or two who wants to return for a refund -- and they don't have the purchase price to refund. Doesn't need to be the maker's fault -- could well be the customer thought the color was lighter, or that height is uncomfortable, or just the wife said they can't spend that money this week!

For my money, I can live with a guy shipping my goods a TAD bit late, if I've been informed about it. But the guy who doesn't accept refunds, or takes a long time to do the refund, will never see my business again.

Edited by JLSleather

Lobo and JLS

I have only been in "business" a few months. I made some changes just from what both of you said. and you need to know that what you took time to write is relly appreciated.

^^^ what he said!

Lobo/JLS: your advice is truly appreciated. As soon as I can pry myself away from the workbench I plan to implement some of it...

Doing this part time, it's hard to do what needs to be done. Know what I mean?

Just an observation on your site -

I was very put off by your criticism of Galco. While that may well have been your experience and opinion, I don't think it is professional to call out a specific manufacturer (setting aside the question as to whether doing so might invite expensive litigation for libel.)

If you feel the need to explain why you are in the business stating "picked up an item from a major manufacturer" sends the same message, with less hair on the dog.

Excellent topic! I wholeheartedly agree with Lobo and JLS. In addition to the "responsibility" factor in holding all funds until they're earned, you also reduce your stress levels. It's not yours until after you have a happy customer.

Edited by BruceGibson

Forums, and social networking (facebook, Twitter, etc.). Followed by eBay, Etsy, Gunbroker, etc. I'd say the best way to draw attention (which is step one) would be participation on forums and on social networks. I'd also exercise discretion on both. Most gun-related forums are hypersensitive to actual selling within the discussions. Make your presence known, but don't push product unless it's acceptable in the rules.

As for eBay, Etsy, etc., make certain you're aware of the fees--both at the front-end, and the final value kiss at the end. eBay will nail you front to back, and PayPal gets a piece, too. But, eBay has a huge number of potential buyers.

Something I ran across the other day, was yet another place. I don't make holsters per say, so I don't have a horse in this race. I have been known to make one here and there at special request, but; saddles are my thing so this is just a suggestion. The other day I was on another web sight, Harley-davidsonforums.com, and was asked if I made holsters, it seems there are a lot of gun totin' citizen bikers that would like a place to purchase gun leather. This might be a good place to get your sales from. The folks there are good folks, much like the folks here they like to talk about their bikes and help others with problems and stuff. Like I said, a really good group. Just a thought.

Bob

Since we have expanded into money talk, here is my .02. Stay as debt free as possible. I have the luxury of this not being my main income. But it started with a set amount we could afford to loose. It was a pass fail endeavor. It took me most of a year to truly "pay myself back." Mainly because all extra money went into materials, tools, etc. FWIW, I keep a cushion in my business account. I have a set amount I will not go under unless it's VERY important. I try to anticipate regular purchases so that my normal consumable orders do not get me near that amount either. Another perk to staying debt free is the "walk away" factor. I could get a bunch of stuff on credit to make my work easier. But I'm working for someone else then, and if the bottom falls out the debt remains. As it stands, I could throw my hands up, walk away, liquidate what I can, throw away what I can't, and I've made money and don't owe any of it to a debtor. Makes the lean times less stressful too.

Yeah, that 'cushion in the bank' is what I was talking about. I didn't mean a return like ONE holster - where you're talking about lunch money. I mean what about that order that causes you to order materials you wouldn't have otherwise...

Yeah, that 'cushion in the bank' is what I was talking about. I didn't mean a return like ONE holster - where you're talking about lunch money. I mean what about that order that causes you to order materials you wouldn't have otherwise...

I rarely do that anymore--order something for one holster. A good example would be a call I got a few years ago from a TV Judge up in New York. He wanted a holster for some pistol (I can't recall which) that wasn't a real popular model. However, Ring's had a Blue Gun for it, so I ordered one. The guy never ordered, (he expected it for free) and I've never used the Blue Gun.

We live, and learn.

We live, and learn.

Yeah, I only order before payment for a handful of regulars. I'll order the blue gun for others, but after payment, and my clock on delivering the holsters starts when I get the blue gun. Been stuck a few times myself but only have one blue gun I might not have paid for with orders.

Naw.. still thinkin' bigger. I'm talkin' about that place that orders 50 holsters, or the first 50 belts, etc., then wants to back out once you've cut leather that you ordered BECAUSE of that request. True, you can charge a restocking fee - but unless you had agreed to such terms ahead of tme, you're pretty much guaranteed to become that @#$@!$@!#!@ who charged me and didn't gimme the goodies... (doesn't have to be accurate to have it said).

Edited by JLSleather