deloeracustoms

Best Place To Sell Holsters Online?

Doing business on-line via website the past several years, it has been my experience that there will always be orders placed that will not be completed by the customer. People change their minds, they forget, they sell or trade the gun for which the holster was requested, or they find something elsewhere before the order is completed. My records show that this occurs in 4% to 5% of all orders (and this is true for both new customers and repeat customers). Because of this my policy is very simple; nothing is made before the order has been paid for. I will not cut leather before payment has been received.

It is not just being stuck with a product that is no longer wanted or needed (just about everything will sell eventually, although frequently at a discounted price). When I spend the time completing an order that time can never be recovered. Every other customer with a pending order waits longer because of those who place orders and do not complete the transactions. At a 4% rate I would end up working 2 weeks every year for nothing while losing potential business from others who cannot or will not wait longer for their orders to be filled. There is a very real and measurable difference in order volume as the waiting time increases.

As for purchasing dummy guns to complete orders, I never make those decisions based on a single order. New handgun models are introduced just about every week, and each new piece results in some level of demand for holsters. Some will remain in demand, but many will not. Unless I can see a significant and ongoing demand I will not consider adding another gun.

About 5 years ago there was a surge in demand for the Sig P238. No dummies were offered so I ordered the pistol. Used it to fill dozens of orders. Then Sig chose to change the P238 (new slide dimensions) making my pistol useless for the new guns. The pistol sat in my safe for a year without use, and was eventually sold.

About 3 years ago Glock announced the new model 42 (subcompact .380). Holster demand was strong so I bought the pistol and filled dozens of orders for a year or so. Then demand dropped off sharply (I don't recall a request for the Glock 42 in over a year). Now Glock has introduced the new Glock 43, and I expect the cycle to repeat itself.

Ruger LCP and LC9, S&W Bodyguard .380, Kimber Solo, and a number of others provided similar experiences. Considerable demand for a relatively short period following introduction followed by little or no demand. Frequently by the time Rings or Duncans gets around to producing dummies the demand for holsters has tapered off significantly.

One of my regular customers really wanted a holster for his Taurus 85. Rings offers the Blue Gun, but demand is so small I didn't really care to buy it. So I offered to make the holster for him if he purchased the dummy, then kept it for my shop. Basically he got a $65 holster for the price of a $45 dummy gun, and I got the dummy gun for a few bucks worth of materials and a little of my time. Since then I have continued to receive holster orders for it several times per year.

I also have a dozen or more dummy guns that have sat around unused for several years. Those have little or no value now. At least with the real guns I have something with significant market value (Sig sells to recognized holster makers at very attractive prices. Glock offers their law enforcement discount to retired cops, so I can save a chunk of money on new Glocks). With the prices of quality firearms generally increasing all the time the real guns can be a good investment while also serving as forming pieces in the shop. A dummy gun can pretty much pay for itself with the first holster order. The actual firearm has a longer pay-back time (6 or 8 holster orders) but usually retains its value or increases in value over time.

The actual firearm has a longer pay-back time (6 or 8 holster orders) but usually retains its value or increases in value over time.

Except my R51! :oops: Well, it did pay for itself. But the resale market is not looking so good. At least mine shoots fine. :gun: It's a big chance I've take about 6 times, but all but one paid for itself. And that one resold for what I paid for it to a buddy of mine.

I've recently expanded into social media... namely facebook. Seems like driving traffic to the website is pretty much going to be a full time job without paid advertising so I thought I'd try that route too. This is not something I'm doing for my main income— just an expensive hobby ;) so I'm not willing to spend very much, if anything, on advertising.

I figure I can do pretty well by sticking with 1911s and Glocks for a while. There's a lot of opportunity to build a solid reputation with those platforms since they are so popular... even sold a pair to some guy in Italy yesterday. I reckon now you could say I'm one of them there international operations :trumpet:

Speaking of which... mucho appreciado to anybody that can click on the FB link in my signature and like that page... :helpsmilie:

Done! Times two.

Same here! Trying to help you get to that "mythical 1,000"... lol

Good luck!

Why don't we have a "sticky" for this purpose? Sounds like a good idea to me... (I may be a bit partial). Be a good way for new members such as myself to build a presence on social media.

Same here! Trying to help you get to that "mythical 1,000"... lol

Good luck!

Why don't we have a "sticky" for this purpose? Sounds like a good idea to me... (I may be a bit partial). Be a good way for new members such as myself to build a presence on social media.

Thanks! I need all the help I can get! :)