A little fancy for what is essentially a souped-up dirt bike, but with no horse and therefore no need for a saddle - you gotta make do!

post-47571-0-89745500-1433364365_thumb.j

post-47571-0-66336600-1433364377_thumb.j

post-47571-0-72363800-1433364390_thumb.j

post-47571-0-68391400-1433364402_thumb.j

post-47571-0-33786700-1433364419_thumb.j

That is the coolest thing I've seen in a long while!

Back in '75 my design professor covered his BMW in leather... not nearly as cool as that though...

Looks fantastic Skivery!!

Looks great! Very unique.

Tooling is fantastic. The fuel tank pic looks like you beveled the hole. Incredible amount of detail, good job.

How did you get the plastic/metal to hold the veg tan?

Hey thank you all! I usually do architectural work (walls, furniture and the like) but was looking for a fun project over the winter and thought my bike could use some customizing.

All of the panels I covered are plastic. I sanded them really well before I contact cemented them down. The challenge was wet molding the 7oz veg tan. I ended up sewing the backsides up so they'd dry tight, then making my registration marks before removing the dry leather. Then I skived the edges, tooled the pieces and glued it all back on before finishing.

That bike lives on the street, so I waterproofed the heck out of it, and even with a ton of rain, so far so good.

post-47571-0-84970300-1433381231_thumb.j

post-47571-0-24976900-1433381242_thumb.j

This is one of the coolest things I've seen on here thus far.

I don't think I'd ever be able to get a gas pump near my bike again if I put that much work into a tank cover :)

Wow! Very impressive, Well done.

Excellent work.

How did you manage to tool the formed leather after the wet forming? I'd have guessed the tooling would be done before forming, but then it may stretch.

Initially I was worried about stretching the pattern out too - as well as trying to eyeball centering the panels when I glued them, which is why I decided to mold them first.

I used both a glass slicker and the side of a large, round screwdriver to really get the leather to "behave" while wet forming. Then when I popped the dried panels off they retained the memory of the panel shape really well. That, combined with skiving past the edge and a bit further into meat of the panel (1/8") made it all really malleable and clearly defined the tooling space. Then I just taped the backsides and tooled away.... I kept my registration marks on the backsides of the leather as well as directly on the panels - so I was able to line everything up really precisely when it was time to glue, working the glue from the center out, and it went on just fine and with no struggle.

I've used this method a few times in the past with good results. I'm not so gentle when it comes to the molding part: I really work it pretty hard and wouldn't want to mangle my tooling, so I've found this works best for me.

Absolutely fabulous work. So detailed great job.

Thanks for describing that, very interesting. I'd like to make a removeable tank cover with a soft lining, perhaps suede or microfiber cloth to protect a custom paint job when its being used for general use.

Not only is the workmanship off the chain, I love the way the theme and the colors all fit the bike. WOW.

Absolutely stunning !!! Especially the holes for the screws are absolutely perfect, how do you cover them?

Love it! We don't see Native American art tooled into leather very often. I really love that type of art. Your execution is beautiful and perfect! Thanks for sharing.

CREATIVE WOW

What did you use to waterproof?

Man, thank you for all of the feedback.

I initially covered the screw holes with the leather panel and rough cut them out. Then I used a Dremel tool with one of those sander tips on it to round out the holes. Worked great!

As for waterproofing - I usually use Skidmore's beeswax waterproofing, but I didn't have any on hand, so instead I used some Fiebings waterproofing gellish stuff that comes in a little tub. What I do is put it on pretty thick, then get out my hairdryer and an old toothbrush and heat the whole thing up, using the brush to get it into all of the cuts and impregnating the leather fibers with the wax. Afterwards I buff it....The bike lives outside here in Chicago, and it regularly gets a pretty good soaking, so I'll probably rewaterproof it again sometime over the summer, just to give it a little TLC.

I'm just ass stunned as these other fine craft people, Not sure I have an adaquit word for this project

It is defanately beautiful workmanship ! ------- Wild Bill46