gmace99

How To Sharpen A Edge Strip/edge Beveler

Hmmm.. I never would have thought to use thread! Great tips.

Thanks!

Bill

You can put some bees wax on your thread and then impregnate it with buffing compound.

You can also use a series of increasingly fine-grit sandpapers wrapped over just the right diameter wire or even a drill bit.

Also, Weaver offers a "Strop Board," which is what I use with success.

https://youtu.be/yRLtXTpMCAE

Michelle

Strop board I have never seen before looks like it is polishing the edge strip.

I use a buffing wheel and apply the jewellers rouge to the buffing wheel. It is rare that I sharpen any of my tools I polish them on my buffing wheel often and find that removing the wax dirt etc this alone keeps them sharp.

Michelle,

I also like the Weaver Strop Board, but with a few changes.

First off, there is no magic to the strop board, you need a table saw or something to put slits in pine board and some leather to stick in the slits. You can make yours as long and wide as necessary or desired.

The aluminum oxide they say to use is prone to getting into everything on the bench and is hard to get on the leather very effectively. I use a product Polish-O-Ray 140 from Brownell's instead of the Aluminum Oxide. This compound has been used for decades in the gunsmithing industry for polishing (to include severe removal of rust etc) before blueing. While normally used on a hard or soft felt wheel, it also works very well here.

That Plexiglas divider they use is worthless. I removed the one I had because I wasn't using Al₂O₃.

Now the thing doesn't rock when upside down sitting on paper (I use old tail end rolls of news sheet from an in-law who is a printer). The bottom is just the right size to glue a hard piece of horse butt to make a strop.

Art

I put some jewellers rouge on a piece of thin card and fold it over a metal rule. It's just about perfect for the inside of a #2 beveller.

The beveller I have  is a #4  and it has a groove on both top and bottom sides.  How do I sharpen that?

HF-PICTURES-1007.jpg

Oh wait.  a strip of leatha with some rouge applied, right????

Yeah, for my bevelers I just bevel an edge of leather. Then apply some rouge and run beveler backwards.

Agreed with Mike. I strop them, on the bottom, a lot, I have a home made strop board based on Stohlman diagram. No need to buy some wood and leather from someone else....

For real sharpening Al Stohlman's tool book shows how to go it with a combination ro round stones, slip stones and small round jewelers file depending on edger size.

The whole section on sharpening tools is excellent.

Edited by plinkercases