While I was reading about the different kinds of finishes available, I came across people mentioning that they're finishing their edges with "saddle soap" respectively "glycerine saddle soap". As I would like to give that a go: can anyone tell me if the soap needs to have the glycerine or if the simple "saddle soap" works just as fine? Any help on the subject appreciated!

I have always used glycerine soap. If you can not find it in the store go to the beauty section and get glycerine soap there. I have always used bar soap.

Fiebing's white paste saddle soap in the little tin also works well. I find that the white does not have adverse reactions color wise with any of the dies.

Btw the TSA scanners at airports can be set off by glycerine saddle soap as the machines think there is nitroglycerin in it. Just a heads up to avoid travel delays due to false alarms

I have always used glycerine soap. If you can not find it in the store go to the beauty section and get glycerine soap there. I have always used bar soap.

Hm, I've got one of those right here... How do you apply it? With just a wet finger?

Dampen the edge of the leather. Rub the bar of soap on the edge. Then take a piece of denim or canvas and briskly rub the edge of the leather.

You may want to check out this pinned item here on LWN. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18101

It does a great job explaining edge burnishing, using saddle soap.

Bill

I have used either on plain (undyed) edges with good results. When the edge is dyed anyway I just go to my burnisher with the edge wet with an extra coat of dye (I use Feibings) and burnish. Works for me.