zuludog

Head Knife. Round Knife?

Are 'Head knife' and 'Round knife' two alternative names for the same thing, or is there a difference between them?

Both are different. Best way I can describe is a head knife is like a round knife cut in half. I have both and only ever use my round knife.

That's straightforward enough. Thanks

I have never heard of that definition of a head knife. I do not think that is correct.

According to al stohlman:

"The ROUNO KNIFE has a more rounded blade and usually is much wider between the points. The HEAD KNIFE is not so round and features sharper swept back points which are better for fine cutting."
This is in line with what you see on c.s osbornes webpage
ROUND KNIFE:
L_70.jpg
HEAD KNIFE:
L_71.jpg
Others says that if the blade is more than 180º it is a round knife and if it's les than 180º it is a head knife.
Edited by jonasbo

It is correct in the UK

The picture I posted of the head knife is from Abbey England I have a couple of head knifes and 3 or 4 round knifes all bought from Dixon tools in the UK who also describe the head knife as I have.

I have been a professional leather worker for over 30 years and never known it any different.

I can't speak about how things are described in other countries.

According to Billy Woofers, a professional saddle maker for 70+ years here in the USA (now deceased), gmace99 has it correct as illustrated. I'll add Billy's gentle instruction as given to me ....."don't you see the birds head you Dumb A$$!"

A Head knife is usually an oval if you extend the blade all the way around. A round knife would look more like a circle if it was extended. That being said, this is for the US only. Words have different meanings everywhere, even in the same country, much less the same language. In the current US vernacular, the terms seem to be used interchangeably.

Art

Looking at the pictures Jonasbo posted if you where to continue his round knife it would be oval and his head knife would be round. In the UK both his knifes would be called a round knife. They look as if they will only do the same job.

It may as I said be different in other countries

However it would be interesting to find out what would you call the head knife like the one in the picture I posted

gmace99 the photo on the left is called a single head knife this side of the pond

i believe hope this helps.

regards John

I used to have a translation dictionary that gave the meaning for British English Language to American English Language, such as:

torch....flashlight

rubber....eraser

lorry.....truck

..so I am not surprised that head knife and round knife might mean different things on each side of the pond.

we spell things different like colour. I also heard you have a different meaning for spotted dick

Why is a leather knife called a Head Knife ??  Who came up with this and why a "Head" Knife.  I understand the round knife, as the blade is round or half round.  In French it's a Demi Lune  or Half Moon (moon is round) knife ??  

These things have been around since long before the English language. I don't think the terminology means that much. 

I did like the bird's head comment though, that makes sense.