JLSleather

Holster Patterns

Thanks. I try to follow the KISS principle.

Anybody using PS or IL to make patterns?  Other software using .psd files?

6 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Using Illustrator. Staying away from PS.

Depends on what you want to do with your.psd files..gimp ( freeware, cross platform, open .psd, edit .psd, save to .psd..if you don't need to work with layers ). Latest version is much more powerful than previous ones.

https://www.gimp.org/features/

inkscape for vectors ( like illustrator )

https://inkscape.org/

HTH :)

Edited by mikesc

So nobody actually using those to make HOLSTER PATTERNS then... just me 'n' Bruce I guess.

Ah..to make Holster Patterns ..a word was missing earlier, should ha' guessed I suppose ;).. Gimp and inkscape would work for those too, don't get a lot of call for Holster patterns, or leather holsters where I am, not "my market"..there is a "western dress up" market here though. I just never bothered with it..you really don't want to hear country music songs in French*..Nor rock*, nor Reggae*, nor Hip-Hop*..nor Pop* ( part from a few exceptions, one of whom died and got a state funeral )  Uniformed forces here tend to use Kydex ( and similar holsters ) , others buy theirs ( leather holsters ) when they are in the USA.

*It is even worse when you can understand all the lyrics, and how they bust a gut because it must always rhyme, even if that makes the words sound ridiculous.."uh" gets added to the end of many words at the end of lines, to make them rhyme with the word that had "uh" added to the end word of the line, one or two lines before..

Edited by mikesc

14 hours ago, mikesc said:

a word was missing earlier, should ha' guessed I suppose

Well, we are in the holster pattern thread :whistle: I got it covered within these walls - I'm good ta go.  Just thought maybe if some you boys 'n' gals was using PS or IL, might want a copy of this digital graph paper I use.  No matter... it's very basic (but useful) stuff that anybody could do (and maybe already did).

I just need a simple slimjim pattern for an 1860 army.

For that particular gun, I would download the How to Make Holsters book from Tandy and make my own pattern.  Western style patterns for revolvers are a great starting point and some of the easiest to make  yourself.

Todd

I will second what Hildebrand said. I've done a few revolver holsters from that book. 

JLS

Whilst i have not tried this software, it may be the thing you are looking for with a free trial and very low price

Its a 2D drawing and cad package which will accept both PDF and PSD files and also export both types so you can simply copy your sketch data into this software and export in many formats

Most 2D cad type software is very easy to make basic drawings like most leather designs

https://www.nchsoftware.com/drawpad/index.html?kw=simple 2d drawing software&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp_aEiuD95AIVUtHeCh1cfQ4lEAMYASAAEgLi0fD_BwE

You shootin' a little wide --- that OTHER thread was about software, and people seemed more intent on killing time than solving issues, so I'm over and on to other things.

Don't see any "cad" in that one, though. Looks more like downsized Illustrator - what with .svg files n such.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:45 AM, JLSleather said:

Just a reminder.. don't over complicate stuff.

HolsterSlotTemplates.pdf

On 5/26/2016 at 11:52 AM, JLSleather said:

How many 'lefties' we got around here?  NOT for the first time, I got a message from a left-handed feller who couldn't "flip" the pattern (in the computer) because it wouldn't import into Corel software.  Honestly, I know nothing about Corel beyond how to spell it :blush:

I didn't put a "lefty" version in the patterns because I figgered they'd be some confusion over which was which .. folks cutting out the wrong parts (probably ME), etc.

Probably better to keep the righty and the lefty separate, doncha think?  

Commander_P0_L.pdf

Okay, maybe try this one out.  It just now occurs to me, I don't think I've actually made this one for the Colt commander for a left handed draw!  "L" is for Left, so no trouble accidentally overwriting the righy version ...

Many Many years ago a yahoo at a factory I'd just hired onto tried the old "left handed wrench" gag.

I looked at the wrench he had , flipped it over, and told him he already had a left handed wrench he was just holding it wrong side up.

Which pattern would you suggest for a pancake holster that would work okay with either a S&W Model 59, the first version, or a standard milspec 1911 ?

2 hours ago, Professor said:

Which pattern would you suggest for a pancake holster that would work okay with either a S&W Model 59, the first version

I don't know.  But if you buy me one, I'll make you a holster pattern fer free ;)

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

I don't know.  But if you buy me one, I'll make you a holster pattern fer free ;)

Heres the inside the waistband holster I use now.

I still have the pattern somewhere. Drew it up myself. It resembles a Milt sparks but I don't think it infringes anything. Let me know if you think it might.

I'll be posting the pattern sometime in the near future, if I can remember where I put it.

Scan_20191021.jpg

Bump this old post (from page 5).... still good stuff.  HATE to seee ANYBODY pay money for an avenger holster pattern when they got a usable 'pancake' pattern already. ;)

Already have a pancake style holster pattern you like?  Turn it into the "avenger" model quickly and easily!

http://www.jlsleather.com/sdm_downloads/leather-pattern-making-avenger-holster/

untl-4.gif No log in, subscription, or video required ;)

Hi all, I'm currently looking for the Alaskan chest rig pattern for a Taurus M65 4 inch barrel, I can't find it anywhere. If anyone can point me in the right direction that will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Tom

SNIKEYS!  Just saw a video (well, i admit I didint watch the hole thing - and aint gonna) where ya spend HALF AN HOUR somebody show ya how to make a MAG POUCH?@! That does it ... I gotta make a simple, easy ta use PDF show ya how to make these very simple things.  I promise I won't use up half an hour of your time - let ya git ta 'craftin' stuff ;)

In the works shortly.... but keep in mind:

Step 1:  When ya measure.. use a LOADED magazine.  Seriously, how many folks are buying mag pouches to carry around EMPTY mags ( :rolleyes2: )

Step 2: When ya start to think about layout, consider keeping mag models of similar size grouped together.  What I mean is, if you're making them more than once, then a guy might have a die made.  So, try to think ahead just a tad and plan so that ONE set of dies cuts parts for several mags (not to be confused with those people who have ONE holster pattern they use for every model - be smart).  

SHOOT.. guess ya gotta hit "upload" before anybody kin see it ? :blush:

DoubleMag_Layout.pdf

Don't forget... ya need GOOD mag molds?  Talk to @wayner - got a number of models and can do others if ya got a real mag to work with.  Molded as if they's LOADED (seriously,, WHO carries an empty mag anyway?@!)... I own a number of his already - Glock, Springfield, Sig, Bersa, Ruger, S/W... ask him what all he got over there!

waynemag.jpg

Edited by JLSleather

Thanks, Jeff (once again!), for your time in putting together this document for the community...most appreciated!

:cheers: Welcome!  That pretty simple to follow?  I want to try to git sum stuff "out there" for the boys 'n' girls who know some stuff, but want to know more stuff.

Internets is INUNDATED with videos, "classes", how-to's, that all show how to trace around a gun (real or otherwise).  But I AM going to make that one soon... where I trace around my hand just like when I was four ... ;) 

Also been trying out a drafting program lately.. wonder if it might be faster than PS or IL.  Reason being, I have a caliper that measures in inches and millimeters, but not in pixels ...

Been using AutoCAD for years so it's just easier for me to work with...draw what I want, line-wise (solid, dashed, phantom, etc), then print/plot it out to full-scale on paper or pdf. Too bad the software is so expensive (at least from AutoDesk)...it seems the tech marketing game is to sell you something "broke" now so's they can sell you the "fix" in six months :huh:

20 hours ago, Double Daddy said:

Been using AutoCAD for years so it's just easier for me to work with...draw what I want, line-wise (solid, dashed, phantom, etc), then print/plot it out to full-scale on paper or pdf. Too bad the software is so expensive (at least from AutoDesk)...it seems the tech marketing game is to sell you something "broke" now so's they can sell you the "fix" in six months :huh:

messaged ;)