JLSleather

Holster Patterns

On 8/23/2019 at 6:23 AM, JLSleather said:

Well, we are in the holster pattern thread :whistle: I got it covered within these walls - I'm good ta go.  Just thought maybe if some you boys 'n' gals was using PS or IL, might want a copy of this digital graph paper I use.  No matter... it's very basic (but useful) stuff that anybody could do (and maybe already did).

JLS, I just finished a training class on using Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.  If you would be willing to share the graph paper still I would certainly appreciate it.  I thought that Illustrator might be useful for designing holsters, and other leather items.  

7 hours ago, Steve75 said:

JLS, I just finished a training class on using Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.  If you would be willing to share the graph paper still I would certainly appreciate it.  I thought that Illustrator might be useful for designing holsters, and other leather items.  

Yep, you can  have this template. It's quite simple to use, simple to make in fact... I would hope that if somebody CHARGED YOU for a class that they taught you AT LEAST this!  I don't know how long or how many 'lessons' you did, but I've never had any "training" and I can do this, so I assume anybody can ;)

Now, if somebody can just explain ta me why .. if you want to rotate a feature, you use the 'edit' menu, but to rotate the whole drawing you use the "image' menu .... :ranting2:

!#%$!!@#! Software "upgrades"!

Everything seems to work just as it did before, but now the "button" you need to click looks different and is in a different spot. What was the point of that.. try to irritate the customer into using some OTHER software?@!

I assure you.. making regular changes to your $3-digit software is NOT an incentive to get me to buy your $4-digit software.

On 12/17/2019 at 3:44 AM, JLSleather said:

Yep, you can  have this template. It's quite simple to use, simple to make in fact... I would hope that if somebody CHARGED YOU for a class that they taught you AT LEAST this!  I don't know how long or how many 'lessons' you did, but I've never had any "training" and I can do this, so I assume anybody can ;)

Now, if somebody can just explain ta me why .. if you want to rotate a feature, you use the 'edit' menu, but to rotate the whole drawing you use the "image' menu .... :ranting2:

The stuff I learned was specifically geared toward the creation of logos, advertising materials and business cards.  I understand the frustration with the various commands and how they work.  It does not always seem intuitive.  

11 hours ago, Steve75 said:

It does not always seem intuitive.  

I just upgraded or updated or whatever .. some other software for designing - not PS.  That button that looked like that in the top right of the screen now does exactly teh same thing it did before, but the button looks different and its in the top left of the screen.  You have to wonder what the point was ...

It'll be fine... just a bit of a time killer

11 hours ago, Steve75 said:

geared toward the creation of logos, advertising materials and business cards

Then you'll have no trouble following this.  Not that "smankey", but sometimes it's nice not to have to reinvent the wheel when somebody already did.

ETA Oh, those ' thingies' below were all done in PS

Edited by JLSleather

Well, it's Christmas after all :blush: 

Fits Glock 26 and 27 (and some say 33, though I have not personally witnessed that).

Gk26_P0.pdf

Thank you for the Christmas present. I enjoy studying your holster designs.

Welcome.  Studying?  Whatcha studying?  Maybe I can learn sumthin from it too!

Can't find my Sig 238 pocket holster pattern.  Anybody got a copy? :o  I know of a couple places I could buy one, but they aint 'clean' as mine (stitch line fit), so .... still lookin' fer mine.  @wayner

Thanks for the pattern! 

On 12/26/2019 at 1:00 PM, JLSleather said:

Welcome.  Studying?  Whatcha studying?  Maybe I can learn sumthin from it too!

Can't find my Sig 238 pocket holster pattern.  Anybody got a copy? :o  I know of a couple places I could buy one, but they aint 'clean' as mine (stitch line fit), so .... still lookin' fer mine.  @wayner

Hi,

Don't know if anyone else responded to this, but pm sent. Is that the one you need?

13 hours ago, eglideride said:

Thanks for the pattern! 

:cheers:

8 hours ago, Icantthinkofaname said:

Can't read and it's late, nevermind

Yeah, it's a TWO 38 , but 'preciate the effort.

On 12/26/2019 at 1:00 PM, JLSleather said:

I know of a couple places I could buy one, but they aint 'clean' as mine (stitch line fit), so .... still lookin' fer mine.  @wayner

Well, @wayner apparently not coughing up the design, so I guess I'm going to rework that one.  Not a problem.. there was maybe something I could have done better than that version anyway :whistle:

OK I'll bite. When I try to download any of the patterns, "Pattern making theory", "About leather holsters" or "Pancake holster pattern instructions" from this page https://www.jlsleather.com/diy/pattern-making/gun-holster-design/ I get a pdf file.

But! When I try to download "Avenger holster pattern instructions" which is the one I am really after. I get this.

holsters_Avenger.jpg.8b0eae23370a054bd9091a62080dce4a.jpg

If I do a search for Avenger Instructions I get this Avenger_search.jpg.0ce26e9e50fe1fc2ae09868a179af355.jpg

Even with all javascript, including farcebook bandwidth and memory waster turned on. I get the same results after the ten  minutes the pages take to load. Am I missing a link somewhere? Or has this pdf been removed from the site. I realise that the pancake instructions will be similar but am sure there will be some differences.

Edited by 2Hill
Add missing web page address

@2Hill You will have to contact JLS directly to sort out the problems.  There are links on his site to email him or contact him.

Tom

Good evening all!

I was perusing this thread and was inspired!  I downloaded the few patterns available here, then bought a couple more from JLS's "cutesy" store.  I bought his Smith & Wesson M&P shield 9,40 pattern, hoping it would fit my S&W Sigma 40.  Sadly, it did not, but with a bit of elbow grease and some wet molding, I got it to fit my Walther CCP instead.  The sad part is I used chrome tanned leather and have today learned on another thread that chrome tanned leather is a no-no for holsters.  So I'm re-creating it with a veg tan piece I have.  I have attached a picture of my "prototype" holster for your input/comments.  I used some of Tandy's Black Cherry Volcano Sides for the leather.  This is the very first holster I have made.  JLS's pattern and instructions are very easy to follow.

I have been reading many of the posts here and have learned many things.  I'm glad to have found this forum where everyone is so willing to share knowledge with those less experienced. 

Aubrey

100_2642.JPG

16 hours ago, FishEggStew said:

Good evening all!

I was perusing this thread and was inspired!  I downloaded the few patterns available here, then bought a couple more from JLS's "cutesy" store.  I bought his Smith & Wesson M&P shield 9,40 pattern, hoping it would fit my S&W Sigma 40.  Sadly, it did not, but with a bit of elbow grease and some wet molding, I got it to fit my Walther CCP instead.  The sad part is I used chrome tanned leather and have today learned on another thread that chrome tanned leather is a no-no for holsters.  So I'm re-creating it with a veg tan piece I have.  I have attached a picture of my "prototype" holster for your input/comments.  I used some of Tandy's Black Cherry Volcano Sides for the leather.  This is the very first holster I have made.  JLS's pattern and instructions are very easy to follow.

I have been reading many of the posts here and have learned many things.  I'm glad to have found this forum where everyone is so willing to share knowledge with those less experienced. 

Aubrey

nice job on the stitching.

Thanks Pastor Bob!

Started with stitching books, like "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather" by Al Stohlman, and refined with Nigel Armitage's (Armitage Leather) videos.  I saw them linked on the forum somewhere.

Aubrey

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JLSbydesign?coupon=CHRISTMAS21

$5.50 (50%) off any of our patterns you dun had in yer cart fer a while and was thinkin' about.  Not sure how cutesy does that, but you're SUPPOSED TO get an email if you "abandoned" something in your cart (no idea how long it needed to be in there)

no need to rush off, this wont expire until end of the year ... ;)

10 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

$5.50 (50%) off any of our patterns you dun had in yer cart fer a while and was thinkin' about.  Not sure how cutesy does that, but you're SUPPOSED TO get an email if you "abandoned" something in your cart (no idea how long it needed to be in there)

no need to rush off, this wont expire until end of the year ... ;)

thank you and have a very :banana:MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! 

Okay, that got boogered already ;)

Let's try this again.  This is now a COUPON CODE you can enter at checkout (theoretically simpler).  Pick any patterns you want - no minimum, no maximum - and get HALF OFF through the first of the new year.

YIKES... this thread got old ;)  And like any other old thread, sometimes gotta just take it out and re-sew with some new.

SO THERE'S SOME NEW holster patterns in the cutesy store... starting with the Sig P320.  This is not a NEW pattern, but one that somebody rubbed my nose in it that I hadnt uploaded.  

Sig P320 Full & Compact Leather Gun Holster PATTERN 2-slot - Etsy

Sig P320 Full & Compact Leather Gun Holster PATTERN Avenger - Etsy

[NOTE] As many of you know, it's a 'short hop' from the 2-slot version to the "avenger" style holster, and you certainly DO NOT need to buy the avenger if you already have the 2-slot version.  Still, there's a bit of altering involved so for those who don't have the time, the means, or the desire to do it, the "avenger" version is available with the "mods" already done to it. 

Getting 'em both?  Send me a message with an email address to get the 2-slot mag carrier for the P320 FREE ;)

I've looked and searched (maybe not to well), but didn't find a consensus on leather for holsters / sheaths.  I'm not talking about weight or source.  What would be the best for holsters, shoulder or side?  It seems like shoulder, but I've seen on the Weaver sight that they tie "Holster" and "Side" together.

Maybe a basic question ... but I am yet another newbie to leatherworking.

1 hour ago, Steelart999 said:

I've looked and searched (maybe not to well), but didn't find a consensus on leather for holsters / sheaths.  I'm not talking about weight or source.  What would be the best for holsters, shoulder or side?  It seems like shoulder, but I've seen on the Weaver sight that they tie "Holster" and "Side" together.

Maybe a basic question ... but I am yet another newbie to leatherworking.

What kind of holsters and sheathes and how many? with a belt? lined? western? concealed? small knives? large guns?  there are many variables IMO lol I buy sides so I have my bases covered and I found out over the years that I can make other stuff too.