alan243

Randall Union Lock Stich Machine

have a chance to buy a randall union lock stich machine. Not sure I need this heavy of a machine but can get it for what I think is a decent price.. 1000.00 mostly sewing saddle parts IE: back cinchs, stirrup leathers, belts etc.. my question, is this too much machine?

Depending on condition, you could end-up putting 2 or so grand into it, then again it might work just right. Harness or holsters, it is a good machine. They can be a little finicky getting them running, but if you do the maintenance they will go on forever. They have really big bobbins which is a reason manufacturers use them.

What I would do is sew it off to make sure it is in decent shape, pay the grand and take it to the Weaver Consignment Auction and sell it. You might be surprised.

Art

I have owned two Union Lockstitch machines in my career as a leather crafter. Both were finicky and often had to be readjusted in multiple places whenever the stitch length was changed. My most recent one was barebones and required $1500 in parts and accessories before it sewed right for me.

By the time I got my first ULS, I already had about 4 years working with industrial sewing machines under my belt. Still, it took a week to learn how to thread it properly and several months to figure out all the interactive adjustments that went hand in hand.

Would I buy another ULS? Yes, if it was a later model, in good repair, with tons of spare parts, bobbins, needles, awls, plates and feet. I would not buy a barebones ULS again.

I second what Wiz said. I don't know what your experience level is but they are not an entry-level machine.

Pretty much all has already been said. My only 2 cents is this. Mine is over 40 yrs old now. Direct from UL. The learning curve was steep and there have been issues. Changing thread was a hassle but all that said, I can't see myself ever stop loving it. My widow will have it to sell cause I wont!

thanks for all the replies.. I am new to this leather game, and just want to make an informed decision. If this was engraving equipment I woudl be done by now :thumbsup:

Edited by alan243

I spent a few days on the one we have in our Seattle luggage factory this week. Not for the faint of heart.

Regards, Eric

One of the first things a new Union Lockstitch Machine owner gets is sticker shock when they look up the prices for bobbins, needles and awls. New bobbins will set you back around $20 each. Needles and awls are in the $35 range for a ten pack. Anybody buying one barebones will need these items. Plus, the needles and awls come in different sizes for different sizes of thread. Then there are the presser feet selling for over $100 each and a special required threading rod that costs about $10. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that all of the important adjustments require special 4 sided (internal) T-wrenches, specifically made for the machine. There are three sizes of those and they aren't cheap.