So I've been making bracelets and putting snaps on them. First I used line 24 which had too long a shaft, so I was sawing it down but I found that the cap was getting dented out of shape even with it being cradled in the proper shaped hole in the setter. I figured that's because the stem was too thick at that length so it was putting more pressure on it than it was supposed to. I just got some line 20 snaps, and I'm having the same problem! The line 20's are a nice size, but I suspect the stem is a bit too long and that's why I'm getting the dents. Or is that not it? I'm doing a gentle tapping, and the stem is flaring out great, the hardware is firmly stuck to the leather but I'm getting a square shaped dent on the cap every time. Also they're really hard to snap/pry apart, which isn't the greatest thing when pressing against your wrist. What's strange is I had run to the local Joanne Fabrics store with a 50% off coupon a while ago and got some anorak snaps, and they work PERFECTLY. Exactly the right size, height, and not a pain to pry apart/snap together. Maybe I should just stick to that kind of snap for bracelets or something...Anyway, if anyone has input on how to keep the cap from denting or what I'm doing wrong, please enlighten me. post-11723-0-23637600-1434299116_thumb.j

I believe your setting them too tight. That flat spot is the post driven into the top of the cap. That will also slightly deform the snap making it a little out of round or at an angle and be hard to snap and unsnap. The snap doesn't need to be tight against the leather just snug. The female part should be able to turn some.

Go to Hobby Lobby, . . . buy this tool:

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/5/8-heavy-duty-fastener-plier-kit-733006/

It will solve your problem, . . . no matter how long the shaft is (provided it is not too short of course).

I won't use any other tool for 95% of my snap situations.

May God bless,

Dwight

You might try line 16 snaps. I use 'em all the time -- never any problems. You might see them listed as line 16, or perhaps some places call them "segma" snaps.

I never buy anything from Hobby Lobby for many reasons, but I'm sure that tool is available elsewhere.

I'm sorry to hear that, . . . my local 2 Hobby Lobby stores are wonderful places to shop. Often times I find things there I did not know existed, . . .

It also makes a 1 stop deal for me, . . . as I have so many different interests, . . . sometimes am all over the store.

May God bless,

Dwight

I believe your setting them too tight. That flat spot is the post driven into the top of the cap. That will also slightly deform the snap making it a little out of round or at an angle and be hard to snap and unsnap. The snap doesn't need to be tight against the leather just snug. The female part should be able to turn some.

Huh, I was worried that if it had some "give" that it would eventually be able to pry at the post and wiggle loose over time, especially since as a bracelet to undo it you have to pry at it with one hand. I'll try setting some a bit looser, thanks.

You might try line 16 snaps. I use 'em all the time -- never any problems. You might see them listed as line 16, or perhaps some places call them "segma" snaps.

Interesting, I think I have a type of segma snap but they're super weenie, but on a tandy video I just watched they looked a fair bit more sturdy. Maybe I'll give those a shot too, just for variety if nothing else.