semperdesigns

My Watch Kickstarter With Handmade Leather Straps That I Make With A Local Saddlemaker.

Hey folks,

Not too sure if this is the right place to post a passion project turned into a Kickstarter Campaign. I've been working with leather for about a year now - about the same amount of time that I've been working on a new watch startup called Alberta Watches.

It only made sense to combine the two! So I teamed up with Robert Nurse, an amazing Calgary based leather crafter and saddlemaker to make some unique hand stitched straps for the watch. He's helping with the clicking (once the dies are made), and the skiving, while I'll probably do the stitching. They're nothing too crazy, really: few stitches to save time, and unfinished Horween leather. But it makes for a nice rugged look I think. I hope you guys like it!

post-43097-0-22361100-1434568890_thumb.j post-43097-0-23258300-1434569030_thumb.j

If you're interested in seeing more you can check out the campaign here: http://kck.st/1IPsZfE

thats fantastic. Looks like theres a positive future for your company.

One thing I noticed is the thread is exposed in picture 1. Like a shoe lace it could come undone I would imagine. Contact cement when done properly can create a permanent bond on two pieces of leather, locking the thread from coming undone. You can even go as far as taping the thread down too.

In picture one again, the left side is skived too far weakening the leather, closest to the stress point (near the watch face). The right side strap would be stronger in theory.

"When split to 20% of original thickness kangaroo retains between 30 to 60% of the tensile strength of the unsplit hide. Calf on the other hand split to 20% of original thickness retains only 1-4% of original strength."

Not too much to change for the strap but my thinking is if you can make it better and it cost no extra money to enhance your product, it would be dumb not to do it. Chances are how it is now may not be an issue but tiny changes will ensure there will not be an issue.

Although companies do decide to keep slightly flawed design aspects, fixing them in the next version.. that is a different topic entirely that could be discussed for days.

Edited by DavidL

Hi David,

Thanks so much for your help!!

That extra lace was the first thing I noticed when I got the picture back from my photographer - I can't believe I neglected to glue the stitch down! They will be in production. In the heat of getting everything ready for the campaign I missed it.

As for the skiving, it's going to be a balance between strength and being able to fit through the slot in between the springbar and the watch case. We were testing difference thicknesses with these prototypes, each skive getting closer to the thickness limit. Once we are in production we will optimize that thickness, maybe even separating the straps into batches first to account for variations in the hide. Like you said, better be as good as possible before these straps leave the door!

Thanks again, I really appreciate your advice!

Leo

Great project Leo, did you contact Tourism Alberta already. That be something they would refer to their members for sure. That would be a huge retailer market for you. If you need some info on how to approach them go to your local visitor info and ask them who your local rep is. You would have to go through your regional manager and he/she would be able to give you the contact details for the right person.

That's a Very Nice simple rugged looking leather strap in all it's naked glory. :)

I like the bands. A friend wants me to make a watchband for him. I had thought of something like yours but no stitches. Glue and mini-rivets. Two on each side. Also, two at the buckle.

Edited by Fordpkup

Thanks!

Two rivets is a very common style amongst pilot watches. Should look great!

Also, nice truck! Might have noticed my 66 C10 in the product video.. needs a lot more work though!

Most excellent and Canadian! Happy Canada day.

When and how can we order these watches or did I miss that on the start up link?

I have shared this on an Every Day Carry forum and you should look into posting on them as well to generate interest and keep folks informed.

Hey Plinkercases,

Thanks for the interest, and a BIG thanks for crossposting! I only thought of the EDC forums recently, and they are responding really well.

You can still pre-order the watch on Kickstarter. That's how I'm able to meet the minimum order for the watch, as I don't actually have the watches yet. But, with the order now secured, the watches will be shipping in October or November.

If you did want to pre-order, the Kickstarter campaign is here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1993848142/alberta-watches-stylish-rugged-and-affordable-watc

I'll also note that the watches will get a little more expensive after the campaign.

Thank again!

Leo