knashville

Strap Cutter Vs Plow Gauge Vs Draw Gauge

First of all I searched, and found so many different threads with different opinions contained within that I got overwhelmed.

So I need a strap cutter and I was told that Tandy's is not accurate any longer(even though it's just slightly off) and that I should avoid it. So even though it may only be a slight problem, I don't want to deal with it. So who should I buy? Why?

Also is there a difference between a Strap cutter and a draw gauge? I know a plow gauge pushes not pulls, other then that I'm unsure.

Thanks LW.net!

This is what I use, . . . works great for me:

mYUAlLccDpBhD14HLwUNhZw.jpg

It is accurate to within 1/32 of an inch, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

I love my plough gauge.

I have used all three, and of course there are pros and cons with all. The strap cutter is fine especially if you don't do a good job of sharpening, cause you can just change the blade. As for the adjustment, I always cut a piece of scrap first to be sure the result is what I want, The Draw gage is a step up, and I still occasionally use mine. The plow gage is pretty much what I use all the time now. For cutting straps, belts and so on, it always give me what I want. In all cases, I cut a piece of scrap to be sure I am going to get the width I want.

Bob

I have both, don't trust the scales on either so I test on scrap as well. I can't tell much difference in them but I use my strap cutter most of the time. It's an old one (wooden). Key to both is to make sure you control the tool.

Chief

Oh yes, I forgot, very important, like Chief says, have control of your tool! :rofl:

Bob

Edited by BondoBobCustomSaddles

.... I got a strap cutter from Tandy, and either I'm a moron or that thing never worked at all. Probably it was a combination of a cheap tool and me not controlling the cheap tool. Whatever the case, I couldn't get it to give me a consistent strap. At best, I got a wavy line that varied by 1/8th an inch. Maybe I shouldn't be admitting this level of incompetence. ;)

I think the Craftool (Tandy) version of the strap cutter has caused problems for many people because the slot for the blade is cut at the wrong angle. The Original Strap Cutter, made by The Leather Company (see https://www.etsy.com/listing/95211213/the-original-strip-and-strap-cutter-the) is a better version. I've been using the same one for nearly 40 years without any problems. I have four plough gauges and a draw gauge, but I still prefer to use the strap cutter!

Below is a pdf of the original instruction manual, which I found when I was clearing out my old workshop.

Strap-cutter.pdf

Edited by celticleather

Having used all three I now only work with the metal draw gauge for smaller work and when starting a new hide for belts or other long parts (9-10 ounce), definately the plough gauge. The Plough Gauge is easier to control and seems to cut like butter if you keep the blde sharp and honed. The wood cutter works but requires a bit more finess to prevent mistakes and even with a new blade doesn't cut as easily as the plough.

Anyone ever try the strap cutter from Bunkhouse?

I use the CS Osborne draw gauge and basic Tandy strap cutter. Honestly, the cheap-o Tandy is my go to. The Draw gauge just feels awkward in my hand and if its not super sharp really sucks to use.

I've been cutting straps and belts with my Blanchard plough gauge and it's wonderful. Beats the heck out of cutting long strips any other way, in my opinion.