Is there a specific technique I can use to avoid getting the (seemingly) unavoidable strings and drips of Barge cement all over my work piece?

I always manage to get at least one sticky, stringy blob dropped right where it will show. Is there a trick, or a better product?

Thanks,

Larry

You might try thinning it a little, use a paint brush (not the brush in the can I normally cut it off), I buy brushes for ~ $.50 each, use once, charge it to the project incidentals, they are 1" wide and fit right in the can. Then I also make sure I invert the brush after letting the excess fall away and keep it inverted until I get it over the intended area. It takes some patience. Hope this helps.

Chief

Put a piece of paper over the spot where you dont want glue. If you're just trying to glue somewhere in the middle, and don't need to see the UNglued part, then a sheet stolen outta yer printer will do. If you would like to be able to see the unglued section, then wax paper is the ticket. Yeah, like the stuff Mom had for putting cookies out the oven (don't tell Mom I got it).

Oh, and if yer talking about the quart thing with the brush in the lid, then yeah, what Chief said! Hobby Lobby girl sends me little "utility" brushes, good n long, only about 3/4 or 1" wide, and like 6 fera dollah...

Edited by JLSleather

Don't load the brush with so much glue (if possible i know some pots it's hard to control). Going back to the pot 3 or 4 times is less of a headache then glue where it shouldn't be.

Thanks for all the good suggestions! I'm planning to use all of them-

I will add an idea my mad googling turned up, although I'm afraid I can't find the link and give proper credit to the author-

Hold the workpiece upside down, and glue from the bottom-any strings or drips will fall AWAY from the leather, and the strings can usually be pulled away without getting any cement on the work.

Between all these ideas, I will just have to blame myself for sloppiness if this happens again, I think!

Larry