I apologize for the picture quality of these. One was taken last night when it was too dark to take a good pic and today I blurred it. LOL Batting 1000. hey are both made out of 8 oz and I don't recommend a mystery braid made of that heavy a leather :)

post-27490-0-97396700-1435415207_thumb.j

post-27490-0-35405500-1435415209_thumb.j

great idea. any ideas where I can go to find how to do this?

JmkJmk it's easy to do. You know when you cut a hole for a buckle tongue you do it into a hole so as not to cut to far? Just lay your leather down and punch holes across the top and bottom and make one of those buckle type cuts into them. Then I played with mine a while and got it to spread even further than usual. The two other ones I saw were done in fine leather, perfect dye jobs, you know the type. They cut the slits and left i that way looking all professional and manly. Me? I decided to go a little wild with mine. I'll upload a picture of mine laid out smooth. Cheryl.

JmkJmk I didn't punch holes in mine because I didn't notice that the first time I looked at the design. I just eyeballed the slits. Cheryl

post-27490-0-37466700-1435420278_thumb.j

post-27490-0-67906000-1435420279_thumb.j

post-27490-0-22089500-1435420281_thumb.j

Hah I actually did a super fat mystery braid but it's only one weave since it was so short! Wanted to see if it would work on something that thick. ;) Very nice bracelets, the rainbow one in particular will catch a lot of attention. The area where all the colors merge though could use some sort of tidying up, maybe pick one of the colors, or black, and make a thick straight line going across all of them? That way you'd still have the natural leather at the area around the snap.

Grey do you mean at both ends? Do black across there. I just played with this and colored it AFTER I slit it, LOL. Not my smartest move. But I could use any color to do that, haven't put any of them away yet. So you've done the heavy mystery braid huh? That's a lot of fun isn't it? Your hands fall off trying to keep the strands separated to put the bottom through. And you have to do 4 braids to make it even. Never again with that heavy a leather :) Cheryl

Couldn't make it into a bracelet, way too short and inflexible. It's over 1/4 thick!

post-11723-0-02216000-1435544576_thumb.j

I know. On these heavy ones especially you need to make them longer because the braiding takes up so much length. Yeah that's why I put a button stud on mine so the pull back wouldn't unsnap it all the time :) Never again. Have too much nice soft leather I can use. Only way I seem to learn is through making mistakes though. Thanks for looking at my things. Cheryl.

Oh and sorry, meant to clarify what I meant by the rainbow ends. I tweaked a pic in gimp to illustrate what I'm talking about (pictures being so much clearer than words and all ;) ) As you can see, adding black on the ends cleans up the look of where all the colors end, plus they help disguise where the cuts end.

post-11723-0-09490200-1435591838_thumb.j

Oh yes, very cool. I will do that Grey. That looks much cleaner. Cheryl