tjkarmin

Budget For Walking Foot Machine

Hi everyone! I've been perusing the boards for a few weeks trying to read up on the types of machines and motors out there. I'm looking to sew leather bags and pouches. From what I've read it seems like a triple feed machine is what I need. Can you tell me what a reasonable budget is for a used machine? Thanks and I look forward to learning from everyone here!!!

Well, who are you, where are you, and what weight are your bags and pouches. It kind of sounds like handbag weight, 4 to maybe 6 oz leather, and not messenger bags of 8 to 10 oz. Got to know all this stuff before we tell you where to go.

Off the top of my head, a Cowboy 277R might be up your alley. About $1700 new. There are just tons of used machines out there for more or less money. Some of the used machines are in less than the greatest condition. Call Bob Kovar at Toledo Industrial and see what he may have. There are other dealers, but you can trust Bob, and he knows the leather business.

Try eBay for 153w101 or 153w102 to get an idea on prices, although be careful buying there.

Art

Sorry! I'm Tara. I live in Chicago, IL and yes handbag weight. Not really heavy but my vintage machines are having a hard time sewing through seams. And I know home machines aren't meant for regular leather work.

Thanks for the info. I'll troll around EBay to gauge prices. I'm hoping to stay in the $800-$1000 range but I don't know if that's doable. I appreciate your response!

Sorry! I'm Tara. I live in Chicago, IL and yes handbag weight. Not really heavy but my vintage machines are having a hard time sewing through seams. And I know home machines aren't meant for regular leather work.

Thanks for the info. I'll troll around EBay to gauge prices. I'm hoping to stay in the $800-$1000 range but I don't know if that's doable. I appreciate your response!

Hi Tara,

The "average" 153w101 goes for $500 or more depending on condition, some less depending on condition and motivation. Like I said before call Bob at 866-362-7397 and get his advice. You are close enough to Toledo to set up a day trip to Bob's. You can get your hands on the machines, and bring some of your leather to sew on. Nothing is better than hands on.

Art

Great. I will call when I'm ready in a few months. Although having 2 small kids does not make Toledo an easy day trip especially if I want to haul back an industrial machine 😉