Baileyhoss

English Pony Bridle And Breast Girth Set.

Hey everyone. I'm a bit of a lurker on this forum as I'm very much a novices looking to develop saddlery making skills. I'm based in Scotland. I use English saddlery techniques. Just wanted to put his up here to see what people think of my first pony snaffle bridle with web reins and breast girth. It's dinky wee for an 11hh pony. The cheeks are 1/2". Friendly crit welcome. ;). Thanks!

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B095idkMwol7x8

Looks very good. I have been an examiner for the Master Saddlers in the past. You should consider doing some of their exams. I think you could do well.

If you need to know where to buy buckles leather etc. message me on my uksaddlery.com website I am always happy to give advice if I can

As a fellow Scots it is good to see people in Scotland keep this craft alive.

Alba gu brath

Wow! Thanks for that! I would love to get involved with master saddlers but I find it hard to access training etc up here. We are quite far north and there aren't many saddlers on my area to chum up for training. I did a reflocking course with David May in Cumbria, then a week on basic bridle work with the Howard's in Galashiels where we did a foal slip and they showed me a couple extra things like hook stud platforms. I'm hoping to get away again in the next year or so to do raised and rolled work. Actually a phrase passed me yesterday discussing buckle turns and hiding the twist, a Hermes turn?? Are you familiar? Fi. :)

Don't know the term hermes turn I prob know it under a different name describe it or send me a picture.

Yes not many saddlers have the time to train people and there are so few of us left.

I have been teaching all over the world for years and have now started uksaddlery to teach in Scotland.

Keep an eye out for uksaddlery on you tube I will be adding videos on saddle making and in time other projects. The saddle making videos on there are not great quality as it was an old video I did years ago and had put on DVD then filmed with my phone from my laptop. I will be coming home to Scotland this year and aim to do better quality training dvds.

Again I am always happy to help if I can feel free to ask

Edited by gmace99

Well done Fiona! Stitching excellent with just the right stitch length, and finish is spot on. I also make English style bridles and sulky harness, but am self taught so my first effort was not nearly as good as yours. When I get time I'll post some pics of my latest efforts.

Don't be discouraged by lack of training facilities nearby as so much can be learned now on line. It's practice, practice, practice that gets you there.

Cheers,

Lois

Thanks GMace99! I had a look at your website. I may well be in touch when I can get organised for my next training! I see you are west coast, lovely!. And a bit closer to me than Galashiels.

A hermes turn was described to me as a style of sewing a turn where the thread are hidden as they pass across the strap rather than the visible twist I was shown.

Hi Impulse. Thanks for your positive comments!. It's all stitched at 10 to an inch. Yes I do find the internet and books, especially Robert Steinke really invaluable. I need to find good tutorials for raised and rolled next. I would love to see some of your work. Even studying other folks work is good for learning.

ok I know what you mean now. I always hide my stitches. all you do is go back one stitch bring the threads in side then twist them 4 or 5 times. Then on the other side come out the second hole up then down to your bottom hole then back all the way to the top.

Never easy to explain in a few words on this. If you like give me a call and I will explain better. The number is on my website.

You mentioned rolled work. there are two ways to do that one you see the stitching the other you don't see the stitches. I prefer the latter. The easiest is where you see the stitches and can be stitched by hand or on the machine.

Do you mean bring the threads inside between the layers of leather? so you would leave the last stitch loose then once the needle was through one layer then pull it tight? Sorry I don't think I'm getting it lol. Thanks for the offer of calling, I need to go pick up my wee girl from nursery shortly but I will call next time I have my tools out!.

Thanks for being so helpful!. Do you have set dates for your courses?

Yes although you don't have to leave the last stitch loose to do it. If I get a chance I will do a short youtube video to show you how it is done.

I only bought the building for the school a couple of months ago so have not set out dates for the courses. I am starting to advertise in equiads . Depending on the response I may set dates. However I aim to do courses on a one to one basis at times to suit the individual until I get known in the UK.

I know many a pony owner that would be proud to have such gorgeous tack! Beautiful job!

Grey Drakkon - wow! thanks for your comments! Really chuffed.

Gmace99. I'm away to look at some of your clips this evening. Thanks for taking the time to do them! People like me find them invaluable! :)