GreenwoodBowcraft

Greenwood Bowcraft

Hello everyone! First let me start out by thanking everyone for all of the advice and discussion you've participated in. I've been watching for some time now and really trying to learn as much as possible from other people's questions and experiences. The amount of insight I've obtained from this site is astounding!

My name is Robert, and I make traditional archery bows from PVC pipe, primarily serving the beginner levels of the sport with cost effective bows that are surprisingly efficient F/D curves. Anyway, just over a year ago I started making quivers and arm guards for customers and the leather work has become a true passion of mine, and a rather substantial portion of my business.

Anyway, I thought I would share some of what I've been up to and do my best to throw in my two cents with any newcomers.

post-55459-0-76734600-1435609199_thumb.j

post-55459-0-85720400-1435609198_thumb.jpost-55459-0-20501600-1435609200_thumb.jpost-55459-0-65671900-1435609200_thumb.jpost-55459-0-68151700-1435609197_thumb.j

Welcome! Those are some nice looking armgaurds, and I like the styling of having the loop over the thumb. I'm a bowhunting addict as time and my budget allows, and even tried my hand at the boyer trade a couple times. It sure is fun and challenging, but I think I'm too busy with my other hobbies to dedicate the needed time to become proficient. But always a chance down the line. Look forward to seeing your quiver designs, especially if you have some bow mounted versions.

Thanks! I got the initial design idea from a commercially available one made from a much lighter (and probably synthetic) leather. The thumb loop does an excellent job of keeping it positioned as well as protecting your hand from the fletching when shooting traditionally. I've not made a bow quiver yet, but it's on my list of projects. Admittedly it's fallen rather far down my list since I've started working with leather; I enjoy the leather work more and more each day and find myself gravitating away from my bowyering work bench in lieu of the leatherworking area.

Very nice! It makes me want to take up archery!

Very nice! I'm thinking just a bit more leather in the palm of the hand (Alter the pattern) and that once that leather forms to one's hand, the accuracy will improve even more.

May i ask...What type of hooks / fasteners are those?

I really like your tooling choice...You've got the perfect angle in the first photo.

Im getting a new basketweave tool this weekend...Cant wait to use it!

Did you make the bow in hand? That's awesome!

Thanks! I've been thinking about making some changes to the pattern, or maybe another style like you suggest which would also work as a swordsman's bracer to provide wrist support and palm protection. If I didn't have this pesky day job I'd have so many fun leather items!

The hooks are boot lace hooks, but of a type I haven't found online anywhere. They're offset a bit so that regular rivets can be used. Most of what I've seen online require a couple hundred bucks in special dies and strikers to set. I get them from an incredible local supplier here in Indianapolis; Landwerlan Leather.

I love the basketweave stamps. I have 6 of them, some are hourglass shaped and I have no idea how to use them, but they look awesome.

The bow is a modified Crimean-Tatar inspired horsebow made from PVC, I make and sell bows made from PVC which are great for entry level archery and mounted archery training.

Very nice! Just to give you a heads up in the gallery by the thumb rings the description shows up twice. I wouldn't want you to lose any business from it.

Thanks for the link, I think I'll be placing an order soon. Looks fantastic and I've been shopping around for just the right seller (I try to avoid buying from the Cabela's of the world when there are folks out there making them by hand!)

Thanks Chief! I didn't notice that, managing the website in addition to making all of the things I sell on there can make my head spin sometimes, not to mention when you toss the "real" job in there.

That's great jkoelker! I very much enjoy the work and it helps me provide a little bit extra for my family.

Awesome, I'm looking at either the Mirkwood or the traditional recurve. Maybe even the quiver, all looks great!