Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've looked in the forum but I can't find this information.

I'm new to leatherwork and looking into buying my first sewing machine, I've read a lot of threads and have a few machines in mind, but my question is, can the machines in the $2,000 range do stitches starting outside of the leather?

If that doesn't make any sense please take a look at the attached image, I'm looking for a machine that can do the stitch on the left, that starts outside of the leather, as opposed to inside as in the right image.

I apologize if I'm not using the right vocabulary, but like I said I'm very new.

Thanks in advance for your help.

RG

Your images did not show up.

Karina

The over-the-edge stitches are done in one of two ways.

1: Using a machine with reverse, sew backwards from the middle, over the edge and stop with the needle down. Move the direction lever to forward and sew across the strap and over the other side, then reverse a couple of stitches to lock the thread. Twist the thread to the left to tighten it and cut it close to the leather with thread snips (curved Wiss snips work best).

2: Using a non reversing machine, sew across from the middle and over the edge. Stop with the needle down and the take-up lever on the upstroke. Raise the presser foot so it clears the leather. Carefully rotate the work 180º and sew back over the edge stitch, across, then over the other edge. Flip the work 180º again and sew in a stitch or two.

I use method #2 on my non-reversing Singer walking foot machine, which is just the right machine for watch bands and the like.