nick

Utility case for the Explorer...

Here are a few pics of a project I have finished. I am still VERY new to leatherworking and I am teaching myself as I go. This is a utility case made of 5 oz. veg-tanned leather. It is dyed with Feibings saddle tan oil dye and then buffed. I lined it with a rust colored pig-skin suede. The stitching is all hand stitched as you can tell from the un-even lines and spacing. Overall, I am pleased with how it turned out, although each time I look at it, I find something else I could have done better. I wanted something that had an old time look to it...that old "hand-made" rugged look. Anyway, it has a loop on one side for a flashlight or screwdriver and a thin pocket on the other side for a pen or pencil. The main compartment is roomy enough for maps, compass, GPS, cell-phone etc. The small pocket on the front is molded and is just the right size for credit cards, fishing license, keys or whatever you may need to stash in there. This was my first attempt at gussets, molding, and stitching. Anyway...take a look.

DSC01496.JPG

DSC01511.JPG

DSC01517.JPG

DSC01519.JPG

DSC01542.JPG

DSC01527.JPG

DSC01536.JPG

post-6930-1227770586_thumb.jpg

post-6930-1227770609_thumb.jpg

post-6930-1227770625_thumb.jpg

post-6930-1227770638_thumb.jpg

post-6930-1227770661_thumb.jpg

post-6930-1227770690_thumb.jpg

post-6930-1227770973_thumb.jpg

Edited by nick

Hi,

I like the design, very cool.

I had an idea for something similar, but as a larger bag with a bandolier type strap running across the chest.

Good job,

Karl

Hi Nick, Your project turned out nice! I like the even dyeing of the piece sometimes dyeing turns out kinda blotchy not so with yours. I don't know about others but for myself no matter how well the project turns out I always see something that I could have done better, it's all part of the learning process! and pushes us to do better! As far as hand sewing goes the best reference out there is a book by Al Stohlman entitled " Hand Sewing" and if you follow the steps in there, your stitching will turn out better than machine stitching! When people look at the stitching on many of my projects can't believe it is sewn by hand, I have a hard time convincing them that it is hand sewn! It is not perfect mind you but it looks real good, the best thing one can do is to use the overstitch wheel to lay out your spacing and to run over the stitching after it has been sewn. Keep up the good work, Alan

Edited by cowboysaddlemaker

Hey Nick!

Your case looks great! We all see "flaws" in our own work. That is natural. We have a picture in our head of how it should look brfore we even start... Then once we build it and real world physics kick in, the image is never the same..hence we notice the 'flaws'.

Your case came out great and anybody should be proud to carry it!!!!

Good job and keep posting pix!

William

Nice design on the case! For the most part, it came out great.

As Cowboysaddlemaker pointed out, the Stohlman book is invaluable in learning how to get the stitches right. It's well worth the price.

Little things make a big difference as far as how professional something looks. When Chuck Burrows came out with his DVD on sheathmaking, guys that had been making sheaths for years suddenly showed vast improvements. Finishing the edges alone can make a big difference.

Still, like the other commenters so far, the case looks so good that it's hard to beat you up on technique.

I hope you do lots more and post pics here!!!

I love this bag. Great job. You should tool the next one.

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback! I am still learning, but with each project I complete, I feel like I improve slightly. Anyway, thanks again for the kind words...makes me want to start another project right now. :grouphug5vj5:

VERY nice. Im new to leather work still so I understnad about learning as you go. This is very nice though.

My first thought on looking at this has to do with utility. I would want to keep whatever is in the compartments dry and secure. Someone that goes exploring often finds themselves out in rain, fog, snow, mud,etc... They often end up upside down so I would make so that the lid on the main compartment fits over the lip completely like a box instead of using a flap. Then the only other thing I see is that the holder for the flashlight and I guess a knife on the other side if I see it correctly should be done in such a way as to insure that those items cannot come out on their own. Either through a pretty solid pressure fit or through some sort of retainer.

Looks like a nice strong piece.

Chas Clements used to tell me he builds his stuff to be Safari Grade, meaning it can be taken to the jungle and depended on not to fail.

Wow. I'm thinking a case like that could easily be modified to serve as a pommel bag on my saddle. Thanks for sharing your work, Nick. And, like others have already mentioned, no matter how good a project turns out, I as a maker ALWAYS find something I wish I had done differently.

Speaking of Pommel bags..There are excellant examples in Rattenbarys book "Packing Iron".I have used this book to the point of wearing out the binding.I req this book to anyone doing Western or period leather.