25b

Best Skiving Machine For Soft Temper Leathers (And Firm Too)

I considered asking this in the "leather sewing machines" section, but as it's not about an actual "sewing" machine, I put it here...

I have decided to start putting funds toward a motorized skiving machine. I will primarily be using it on soft tempered leathers (Horween Chromexcel, etc.), but would also want to be able to use it on firmer veg-tanned leather also. It would also need to work with shell cordovan without marking up the finished side. I'll be using it to make small, personal leather goods (wallets, keychains, notebook covers, etc...)

I've read about bell knife skivers and this seems to be the way to go...I know they are pricy...but if they will skive the way I've seen them work in the videos I've seen, that's ok...you get what you pay for and I understand that. That's how I price my own items I make and sell. :)

Anyway, I appreciate any thoughts from those with direct personal experience with these machines...thanks in advance for your time...

You probably want a bottom feed bell knife skiver like the Fortuna ES 50. The Fortuna us really a Mercedes of the skiver clan and buying a good used one would make your wallet feel better. The Techsew SK-4 might be a little more economical Chinese alternative. I have a Chinese machine and they work well. The Fortuna machines end up in factories and run all day everyday, they just never turn them off except to work on them. I've never been able to find a Zerk fitting or oil point on any of them; then again, I've never burned-up a bearing either. Oil the feed mechanism and that's it.

If you were doing a LOT of veg tan, then a top and bottom feed might be up your alley, but they do have their disadvantages. The bottom feed skivers have feet, and if you can't find what you want, you can grind your own. The top and bottom feed skivers have a roller foot on the top that is driven. Other than that, you have to have special ones made, although you can make what is provided work well for a lot of things.

You can find these on the used market, and Campbell-Randall refurbishes them.

Art

Thanks for the detailed, informative reply...that is good info for me to consider.

Thanks again...

Ok, well I've been trying to do some research and am wondering about feed types now...can someone please explain these to me? I know Art said before that to do soft and firm leathers to get a top and bottom feed machine...

Is this one both or just top feed?

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1016927&ppid=1122ℑ=843775822&images=843775814,843775822,843775846,843775842,843775837,843775834,843775829,843775849,843775856,843775860,843775863,843775867,843775871&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

I know it's old and looks like some parts may be missing, but right now I'm just trying to figure out which model(s) I should be looking for.

I'm going to see if I can find some videos on these to try to learn more. I've also read quite a few threads on here about woes people have had adjusting their machines.

Also, I have been very strongly advised to stay the heck away from the Chinese clones. My understanding is that while they may be ok with the 441 clones, they have a lot of work to do to get their skiving machines up to par.

Looking forward to anymore info on these machines...in particular older Fortuna models as that's probably going to be my price range. Also, does anyone have any recommendations on using two different motors on these? I read in one of the threads to try a clutch motor for the feed and a servo for the knife...or maybe reverse that. Sounded pretty complicated. I know it would just mean two separate motors and belts, but...still sounds hard to set up that way.

Thanks for any help on these machines..

It is top and bottom feed or used to be, you can see the adjustment for the bottom feed dangling from the left side. The Chinese clones aren't bad at all, admittedly they take some setup, but once you get that done, they pretty much run on their own.

Bell knife, regular non-clutch motor; feeds, servo motor.

Factories run these things till the wheels fall off....literally, like the one in your link. Check with Bob at Toledo Industrial, he might have something or know where you can find it. Alternatively, Dan Naegle at Campbell Randall for a refurbed Fortuna that will be as good as the day it defected from Germany.

Art

Thanks for the reply...Campbell-Randall doesn't have any refurbed Fortuna units. Apparently, they are difficult to get since they're in such high demand.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge here...

Well, I have been looking for a good, used Fortuna or Italian make skiving machine for a while now and there have just not been any available. I've almost broken down and decided to order one of the Consew models, even though I've been told they do not skive thinner chrome tanned leathers very well at all.

I've read just about every thread on here that deal with skiving machines and have absorbed a lot of information from those. I guess I will go post a WTB ad and see if anyone replies with a decent machine...

Really depressing how difficult it's been to find a good machine to buy. :(

I have an Italian bottom feed Skiving machine, set up with a constant speed bell knife and a small servo motor for the feed roller.(three motors total on the stand: one for the bell knive, one for the feed wheel and one for the exhaust). When I use it for thicker firm vegan leather, I change the stone feed wheel for a steel feed wheel. Then I can skive pretty thick leather on it and it feeds well. On the most common (simplest method) of setting up a skiving machine, they use one motor only, (clutch or servo). This motor will then propel both the feed wheel and the feed roller, when you slow down for better control then the bell knives runs slower too. It an advantage with an constant speed bell knive, it will simply be easier to use and skive better (perfect speed all the time). I think that any "fortuna" type of skiving machine can be set up like this. Mine came like that from the builder and have a small internal servo motor for the feed roller.

A top and bottom feed will be a better choice for heavier leather, these are more expensive of course. The same set up with two motors would be best choice for that machine type as well. Then you can skive as slow as you want to until you master the machine. These machines has a pretty step learning curve, so anything that can make them easier to use its worth paying for. The most difficult task with all these machines are the adjustments, if you do not buy a new computerized machine that is. It will take some trial and errors (and a lot of test material) to get it right no matter where it comes from. Search the forum, try to do it with Google for more result. There are info about these machines here somewhere, not much but it is some. The trick is to keep the bell knife sharp at all time, without any burrs on the inside of the knife. Ask me/us when you get your machine in shop.

The Italians where the leading country in making leather machine in the last half century, now it's the time of the Chinese. Most of the new stuff are made there if we like it or not, that is the case. These machines are not rocket science, I would not be afraid to buy an Chinese skiving machine today, I have an Chinese 441 machine I am happy with and some other equipment too. They have made these machine in China for some time now. It's all about how many hours a day you will use the machine. If it should run in a factory all day long, then buy an new Italian/German machine. If not, you will not be able to break one in a small leather workshop. Buy Chinese from a dealer who offers support, I am sure you will be asking questions no matter where it's from.

Good luck!

Tor

Anyone have any info about the Randall 81TB machine? Is it basically a clone (like the others) of the Fortuna? Is it considered better than the chinese ones? Anyone ever used one? I did see the video by Campbell-Randall demoing it (well the 81AB bottom feed model anyway), just looking for more info if anyone has any.

Thanks

Edited by 25b

I've seen the real Randall ones (USA) they are top and bottom feed and have a clutch, they are green like every other Randall but were missing a safety cover here and there. The ones I have seen at Campbell Randall are Black and White but sure look like the old Randall 81. I am suspecting that a shoe factory closed or went to newer production lines and that they bought up the surplus and refurbed them. Call Dan Naegle and ask him.

Art

Yeah, I've talked to Dan. I'd like to hear from others that have used this machine. Thanks. :)

On 1/22/2020 at 2:16 AM, axmay said:

Does anyone have any experience with or heard anything about the Nippy NPS7 mini-skiver?

I personally haven’t from anyone in the states. I’ve asked about the machine and the response so far has been that they aren’t entering our market just yet. Nippy had a great reputation for skivers though. I’d imagine if you’re going mini you have a very specific type of work you do and don’t plan on branching out, as that machine has more limitation than the traditional size of I’m not mistaken

On 1/15/2021 at 2:09 PM, MG513 said:

I personally haven’t from anyone in the states. I’ve asked about the machine and the response so far has been that they aren’t entering our market just yet. Nippy had a great reputation for skivers though. I’d imagine if you’re going mini you have a very specific type of work you do and don’t plan on branching out, as that machine has more limitation than the traditional size of I’m not mistaken

When it's a choice of the Japanese, that speaks for itself. They know the Asian market and are particular about getting good quality. It would probably crush it's Chinese competition anyway, although it's pretty likely made in China now like everything else. If it's made in Japan still, it would compete with the Italian and German machines. Not in techniques but quality of course.

Although, this is almost 6 years old thread. Can anyone update me with the best machines now a days? Any Suggested link will do, i will then short it out. 

2 hours ago, DavidHope said:

Although, this is almost 6 years old thread. Can anyone update me with the best machines now a days? Any Suggested link will do, i will then short it out. 

I don’t know what you’re skiving but there are 2 skiving machines widely available, 1 Is for thicker veg tan leathers, 8oz and above, and the other is for both chrome and veg 8oz an under. Fav, Fortuna and Nippy are still the Trail Blazers, everything else is a copy. I use mine for footwear and got one with a dual motor to have better control. Buy one from a company that will help you when you have questions because you will have them! However if you do any work that requires thinning the time saved is exponential, especially once u get the technique down.

I just purchased a Nippy Skiving Machine, an NP-S1 from Nippy, Japan. It took a couple of emails to answer all of my questions and clarify the specifics but they were completely great to deal with. The machine with DHL shipping was approximately $2200. It is the head only so needed to purchase separately a table, servo motor (~$125), and v-belt (~$10). It’s a beautifully made and precise machine. I’d be happy to send any info and specs.

On 6/25/2021 at 12:29 AM, DavidHope said:

I would say get a good second hand Fortuna with a clutch and if you have a large workshop then one with a vacuum incorporated.

On 6/25/2021 at 4:29 AM, DavidHope said:

As the thread is more than 6 years old and lots of thing by this time has changed. So you need a updated article that includes the latest feature. You can gone through this article. I think it will meet your need. 

21 minutes ago, Millershark said:

As the thread is more than 6 years old and lots of thing by this time has changed. So you need a updated article that includes the latest feature. You can gone through this article. I think it will meet your need. 

ThanQ Miller, I will check this out.