Richard M

Axe Sheath And Forager Pouch

Not had much time recently due to my real job getting in the way!

Here are two items I have been working on, as always any tips/comments welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Richard.

Pouch

post-60644-0-59513800-1436527685_thumb.j post-60644-0-50813700-1436527700_thumb.j post-60644-0-38975800-1436527722_thumb.j

Axe Sheath

post-60644-0-67551700-1436527765_thumb.j post-60644-0-33284200-1436527841_thumb.j

Looks great. Does the pouch open up as photo shows? Clever. Like the axe.

I like them both.

Any chance on more details on the pouch so I can make one? Looks pretty dang useful.

Love that pouch, i second Oldtoolsniper, can we get some details on that?

Wow! Thanks for all the interest and replies.

The Forager Pouch can be used for anything really, the idea being that you would wear it on your belt as an easy to get to extra pocket. So if you were out walking and came across a black berry bush and the fruit was ripe for the picking then you could unfold the pouch and stash them safely. Or if you were wild camping you could collect tinder and keep it safe for later.

The details

The pouch is a 9" x 9" pocket simply stitched to form a square (I guess it could be an oblong) made from Hood canvas (as I could not source any waxed canvas). When it is folded in to its leather roll the dimensions are approx 3 1/4 x 3 1/4 x 1 1/2 inches.

I used a 6/7 oz piece of leather for the pouch and the main piece is 8 1/2 x 3 1/4

The pouch is sandwiched between 2 bits of leather and stitched through both. The inner bit is approx 2 1/2 in sq. The belt loops are also caught by the same line of stitching as it gave a nice clean look. The inner patch can be seen in the pic below and the belt loops in the following one.

Forager 2

Forager 4

Is that enough detail? If you want more just ask.

Richard,

Thanks for detailing that out. I'm going to give making one a shot. It's one of those things you see and wonder why everyone doesn't have one. Plus it's one more use for the smaller leather chunks piling up in boxes.

Thanks for this, i made my own yesterday!

Thanks for this, i made my own yesterday!

That's brilliant any pictures?

post-57471-0-20919700-1436720606_thumb.jpost-57471-0-66108500-1436720660_thumb.j

I stitched the belt loops on instead of using snaps. i stitched the bag by hand using a speedy stitcher as i had one and used one in years, on of the seems cam out rough but hey it will work for my purposes and i had fun making it

Wow, I'm making one! I'm going to use it to carry my brass from the unloading table during SASS matches. I think that I'll put a clip on mine so I can slide it on and off the gun belt

nice idea for the match

That pouch would be nice for mushrooms... any thoughts on working in some sort of cross-body shoulder strap that would fold or roll inside as well? Maybe that's over-complicating it though

I made some wax for waterproofing carhartt a it's 2 parts beeswax and 1 part boiled linseed oil worked awesome might be a good idea for your pouch make a bar with it run it on them melt it in with a hair dryer or heat gun the pouch would be able to carry water after

Okay, my prototype is done. I messed up on it here and there so I just did all the steps to make it functional. My /next/ one will be for my finished gear.

The pouch, closed, is about 3.5X5" The bag is the lower leg of my Navy coveralls. The leather is 8-9 oz, the inner patch is 3-4 oz. The belt clip is from Tandy and quite a bit stronger than I imagined it would be so I shouldn't have to worry on it moving around on the gunbelt while running around on the stage. I'll test it out at the match this weekend and see if I need to change anything about it.

11694877_691221670983937_21025250858043811752639_691221650983939_52615532447761310457912_691221617650609_475787988852070

Wow, someone message me and teach me how to link pictures so they aren't movie marquis, sorry about that!

Edited by Red Bear Haraldsson

I made some wax for waterproofing carhartt a it's 2 parts beeswax and 1 part boiled linseed oil worked awesome might be a good idea for your pouch make a bar with it run it on them melt it in with a hair dryer or heat gun the pouch would be able to carry water after

The canvas I used is water resistant, your recipe sounds good I am going to try it.

That pouch would be nice for mushrooms... any thoughts on working in some sort of cross-body shoulder strap that would fold or roll inside as well? Maybe that's over-complicating it though

Off the top of my head I could add a couple of dee rings but hiding the strap will need more thought?

@Red Bear Haraldson That pouch is looking good. I like the tooling and I had never thought about using one of those clips. I feel another one will need to be made.