claudeleathersmith

How To Finish Natural Look Vegetable Tanned Leather

Hello,

Im newbie and i want to ask how to get natural look finish on raw vegetable tanned leather.

i already purchased 30ft vegetable tanned leather from factory and there are so many "dirty" spot.

i have no idea, do i need to clean it first ? and how ?

My Raw Vegetable Tanned Leather : post-63813-0-21189400-1436604392_thumb.j

Color i want to get : post-63813-0-85079600-1436604390_thumb.j

please help i need some guide :(

Thanks !

Edited by claudeleathersmith

You need to return the leather you bought and find a new supplier.

The look you want? That's what my veg tan looks like when it arrives at my door from my supplier. W&C

Dan

Oxalic acid crystals will help to clean and bleach the surface. You may not get all the way to the nice example you show. Do a search here for oxalic. You will find lots of discussion and ideas.

Tom

You need to return the leather you bought and find a new supplier.

The look you want? That's what my veg tan looks like when it arrives at my door from my supplier. W&C

Dan

i dont think they have return policy, so ill just trying to find a new supplier here. thanks sir. and do you think in my sample pictures they use any finishing ?

Oxalic acid crystals will help to clean and bleach the surface. You may not get all the way to the nice example you show. Do a search here for oxalic. You will find lots of discussion and ideas.

Tom

Thanks for your kind reply, i already read about oxalic acid and ill search it asap. what finish should i use after i bought it ?

i dont think they have return policy, so ill just trying to find a new supplier here. thanks sir. and do you think in my sample pictures they use any finishing ?

Thanks for your kind reply, i already read about oxalic acid and ill search it asap. what finish should i use after i bought it ?

If you can't return the leather then it's time to try to clean it up. Oxalic acid as Tom suggested. It's used in the States to clean cement floors, driveways, areas around a pool. Paint stores are a good source here.

I've never tried it but I have heard that lemon juice also works. You'll need to dilute it since you have so much area to cover.

Once clean, just experiment with the finishes you have available until you find one that works. A finish will be necessary or the leather will become stained quickly.

Dan

I tried the lemon juice and it may clean but it did not seem to lighten my leather at all. The oxalic acid may work, I have not tried it yet. I would definitely do some test strips or pieces, a lot of the finishes darken the leather substantially. Our local Tandy had a bunch of pieces they had different finishes/protectors on and most of them really seemed to darken the leather. Good luck.

I tried the lemon juice and it may clean but it did not seem to lighten my leather at all. The oxalic acid may work, I have not tried it yet. I would definitely do some test strips or pieces, a lot of the finishes darken the leather substantially. Our local Tandy had a bunch of pieces they had different finishes/protectors on and most of them really seemed to darken the leather. Good luck.

I have the same preference with you. I am interested in the result you are getting?

I had a customer that wanted that same finish for some pen cases.   I used a clear urethane mist spray, let it dry, then another and another.

The principle here is to seal the grain with a mist coat so the finish doesn't get absorbed into the leather, but just sits on the surface.2016-08-31 14.37.30.jpg