Hi Everyone

So I purchased a Typical DC 20665 heavy duty machine yesterday. The machine really performs great and it is stitching perfectly. The only thing I need some help on is in regards to the motor. At the dealer they had the machine setup with a clutch motor (model: DOL12L, 1/2 HP 4P) which works well. I do actually want to servo motor for the control and energy saving as electricity in South Africa is quite expensive. They then installed a servo motor which I am not sure of the brand but on the label it said 300W - 700W if I remember correctly. With the servo motor the machine would start the first stitch through the really thick layers of leather, so they had to hand crank the first stitch. Due to this they recommended I keep the clutch motor. I unfortunately did not have the time or the patience to stand there and have a long conversation about the whole motor issue so I decided to go the the clutch motor. Now I am thinking that maybe they could have fitted a more powerful servo motor, but I have no idea what the difference is between all the servo motors. Obviously I can call them tomorrow and ask to change the motor for a servo, but what do I actually ask for? Is there a wattage rating or something that I need to look out for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Machine specs:

EUROPE: http://www.typical-europe.com/en/products/heavy-duty-machines/flatbed-machines/gc20665/

CHINA: http://english.chinatypical.com/Products_011.asp?id=230

post-59637-0-29416500-1436690173_thumb.j

I´d ask for the most powerful servo motor they have or can get. It should have at least 550 Watts but the more the better. I have two Servo motors with 750 Watts. I´d also ask for the smallest motor pulley they have. A small pulley gives the motor a bit more torque. I´d recommend a 40 - 50mm pulley if available.

AFAIK in ZA you also have 220V power supply, right? So if they can´t supply a proper servo motor buy one from College Sewing in the UK:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/JK-561A-220V-750W=1HP-SERVO-MOTOR

or with needles positioner:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/JK-561A-1-220V-750W-1-HP-SERVO-MOTOR-WITH-NEEDLE-POSITION

You can also add a speed reducer to the servo motor and improve the power to punch through.

In fact, you can keep the clutch motor and add a 3 pulley speed reducer. The ones sold in the USA have up to 3:1 speed reduction, which means triple the torque at all speeds. If you use the middle pulley to drive the machine, you will get 2:1 reduction and torque multiplication. This may be all the change you need. No fussing with a new motor. You will need 2 or 3 new v-belts though: 1) motor to large pulley; 2) large pulley to machine; 3) optional medium pulley to machine (2:1).

The reducers have a mounting frame that fastens under the table, right next to the slot for the belt. They can be adjusted laterally and vertically.

The untold advantage of the clutch motors is that they can be adjusted to freewheel a considerable distance on the operator's foot. Some servo motors are freewheeling and others are not.

Edited by Wizcrafts

What is the brand name of the motor? Pictures?

If you have a large pulley on the servo motor and small on the clutch motor, you can try swapping them. That will slow down the servo even more and give it extra torque it may be missing.

Hi Everyone

Thank you so much for your replies!

Today I went to a friend and asked him to take one of his servo motors to test on my machine. The model is a JK-563A 220V 750W=1HP SERVO MOTOR as Constabulary suggested. I must say that the clutch motor still out performs the servo motor when it comes to taking the first stitch through the leather. With the servo motor I still had to hand crank the first stitch at times thought the thick layered leather other than the clutch motor (motor specs: 1,750 RPM Low Speed Clutch Motor. On/Off Switch. Bidirectional Switch. Power Mode Switch 110 / 220 Volt. Power: 400 Watts - 1/2 Horsepower. 6 Volt, 20 Watt Accessory Socket).

I did today try and find someone who can help me with a speed reducer, but no luck unfortunately. I will have to order one online it seems, but I was only able to find one for $210 on ebay which is not within my budget at the moment.

Wizcrafts I think might have the best advice for me to get the speed reducer. I am also going to ask my dad if he can build me one as he is an engineer and uses speed reducers on other type of machines in their oil factory.

I will not need to sew really thick leather all the time, but when I do I'd need the speed reducer.

Anyway, thank you all for the advice! THIS SITE IS INCREDIBLE!

The 1st stitch usually is done by hand cranking the balance wheel because you have to position the needle at the right spot and then you start sewing. With other words you always start sewing with the needle down in the material. Or is someone starting with the needle up?