Sign in to follow this  
Monticore

storing hides

i have some leather i probly won't be using up very fast is jsut keeping them ina cool/dry dark place enough or do i need to do anything special to keep them in good shape. and what long lets 1 eyar ins torage would do to a hide

thanks

cory

Hi Cory,

I get my hides the same as everyone else, they arrive rolled.

I wanted to set up a new workbench with space under the worktop to store all my leather flat. But it isn't really a practical solution for me as it's hard to handle and get at the stuff I want in my limited workspace.

What I do now is to open the rolled packages when they arrive and punch a couple of holes near the edge of each hide. I then hang the hides on hooks high up on the shop wall. I use an old horse blanket to cover them so they don't get a suntan and dry out. They're accessible and convenient but safe from harm and the dreaded UV light. They stay nice and flat, the roll just drops out after a while.

I have some pieces which are a couple of years old and they are soft as when they came.

Hope this helps,

Karl

thanks

Hi Cory,

I wanted to set up a new workbench with space under the worktop to store all my leather flat. But it isn't really a practical solution for me as it's hard to handle and get at the stuff I want in my limited workspace.

What I do now is to open the rolled packages when they arrive and punch a couple of holes near the edge of each hide. I then hang the hides on hooks high up on the shop wall. I use an old horse blanket to cover them so they don't get a suntan and dry out. They're accessible and convenient but safe from harm and the dreaded UV light. They stay nice and flat, the roll just drops out after a while.

I have some pieces which are a couple of years old and they are soft as when they came.

Hope this helps,

Karl

Hi Cory,

Hope this helps,

Karl

Hey Karl.. I like your idea. I am just starting out and have limited space in my garage/workshop and like this idea of hanging the hides. Thanks for the great idea