toolleather

How To Make My Own Maul?

Hi There,

I'm very interested in making my own maul. Does anyone have any Ideas as far as the type of material I would need to make the head of the maul. I was thinking of getting a cutting board and trying to glue or melt the disc together somehow but not really sure about that approach, being that I don't have many tools around to attempt this, and I was looking at the Beary Mauls and I really like them, but the price tag is a bit much right now.

Any Ideas, Thanks in advance.

I remember seeing two or three threads here on making your own maul, along with pictures. Try a search and I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.

Tom

POM is the material you're looking for. It comes in all shapes and colors. The little amount you need could be found on eBay. Other than that there aren't any limitations for the handle. What ever you like to use...

You can melt down old milk jugs in the oven to make the head.

My old standby is one I made about 20 years ago. It can be made simply if you really want to. First get a piece of threaded rod 3/4" x 9" long, and three nuts and washers to fit. get some raw hide, back then I had some large dog bones laying around, so I used them. Soak them till soft, spread out and tack to a board till they dry. Then use a large round punch, about 2" and cut out a pile of discs, enough so that when stacked and squeezed they are about 2" to 2 1/2" thick. Mark the centers and using a 3/4" punch and punch out the centers. Now put them on the end of the rod with a nut and washer on each side of them and tighten them as tight as you can. once you have done that you have the basic. Now you can make a handle out of anything you prefer. put it on the other side of the rod and add a nut .hold it in place. Cut off the excess rod that is left and vulah ! Now depending on how nice you want it to be, you can do things like make the handle out of stacked leather and turn it on a lathe in order to contour it to your hand and add brass "acorn" nuts and washers on the ends and so on. Bottom line, you can make it as fancy or plain as you wish for minimal expense. You can adjust weight by adding a couple of washers to the head end, but; be careful, you might end up making mauls for a hobby! Making tools is addictive.

Bob

Bob

I used a similar approach but punched and put the rawhide on wet, then squeezed all I could by slowly tightening the nut. I live along the UP mainline so I had access to something called bridge washers. They are made from cast iron and are large with ribs. I used the result for punching for years but have elected to buy the rest, so much less hassle since they are once again fairly easy to come by.

Yea, I may have done it wet also, it has been so long ago I just don't remember.

Bob

I am a bit late to this party, But I will throw in my 2 cents nonetheless. I have a maul I use all the time that I made myself and it was quite simple to make it is just a variation on what some others have mentioned. I used 1/2" all thread but 3/4" would be beefier and UMHW plastic rod for the head. a foot of 2.5" UMHW is enough to make 2-3 mauls depending on how heavy you want them and cost me $18 I cut the rod to length in my case about 3.5" long and marked centre and drilled one end with a 1" forstner bit to countersink the nut and a 1/2" hole all the way through with my drill press. the handle I made of leather washers and a golf ball flattened on 2 sides and countersunk like the maul head as a neater termination than just having a nut and washer on the end of the handle. Tighten everything good and snug and clean it up as you see fit and you are off to the races with a very functional maul for about $8 per maul.