Which is better for repelling dye/stain? I need to paint some letters light gray and dye the leather black. I've been experimenting with the two, and am still working on it, but though I'd ask if anyone has any experience in this area. I had planned to dye first, but it distorts the paint color if I paint on dye/stain.

Edited by indidana

I've never used gum trag as a resist but I've had great results with super sheen, are you using leather dye or acrylic paint for the letters? If you're using leather dye then would suggest doing the letters first, then sealing them with super sheen (make sure it's completely dry), then dying the rest of the item., remove excess dye smudges from the letters with a damp paper towel.

With acrylic paints I've had a good success rate with dying the entire thing, applying the finish, and then painting on top, the super sheen stops the acrylic from 'merging' with the dye or if theres any excess residue it doesnt get integrated into the paint. However I haven't used that technique over black dye, I've used it on dark blue and purple and it's turned out ok, I shouldn't think It would come out much different.

Hope this has been helpful!

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=29834

(letters and rose are purple underneath, the bell was sealed before the dye went on and then painted to see if there would be any colour difference, and there doesn't seem to be!)

Oi, here we go again, Sunshine. :):) How did you do the flower on the cinch belt? That seemed to work out really well.

Personally, I use Super Sheen as a resist.

I'd test a piece first and if it didn't come up bright enough, I would do it again and paint an undercoat of white acrylic under the gray (over the super sheen) and see if that comes up the way you want it.

Thank you both! What I ended up doing on this project ( and the cincher belt ), was dye the entire thing black, then used acrylic paint for the letters/rose. It took a few layers of white before I could start adding color. I had found that gum trag does NOT work as a resist at all. Super shene takes many many coats to resist as much as I need/want it to but works well! I have found that super shene doesn't work well as a resist against dye but works well with stain. The 88 wallet I dyed coal black then layers of white acrylic paint before I could paint the 88 red. The vacuum truck tally book cover I dyed black after tooling then used probably 6 or 7 layers of super shene over it and the rest of the truck before I stained it saddle tan.

Next time I am going to try a layer of super shene over the dye before I paint it am see if that helps with the dye bleeding into the paint.

Oi, here we go again, Sunshine. :):) How did you do the flower on the cinch belt? That seemed to work out really well.

Personally, I use Super Sheen as a resist.

I'd test a piece first and if it didn't come up bright enough, I would do it again and paint an undercoat of white acrylic under the gray (over the super sheen) and see if that comes up the way you want it.

Hello again, btw! :)

I am posting a new one in critique my work. I need some pointers on it, you ought to check it out! I'll title it Indian Deer.

post-62762-0-24752000-1438122885_thumb.j

post-62762-0-99702200-1438122901_thumb.j

I use dyes as dyes and stains as high-lighters.

Once again your gear looks phenomenal (ihateyouihateyouihateyou). Hmm? What was that?

Excellent, excellent work. I have offered up three pictures TOTAL of my projects. I talk a good game, but I am still terribly displeased with my work. But here I sit, bolstering YOUR ego... again! (Just kidding! Really!) Yay!

Beautiful work, simply beautiful. I have finally finished all my 'prototypes' so I have pretty well run out of excuses on projects.

I know the difference between dyes and stains but honestly need to research them more to learn what's best used for what projects, details, etc.

I use a coat of enamel to lock my acrylic color. I have also used acrylic resolene when I am out of the other product. Super sheen in my opinion requires too many applications for me. If I do a two tone dye job with spirit dyes, I will usually use RTC or a lacquer base product to seal my work. Hope this helps.