Rolox

Cracked Finish Effect

Does anybody know how to get the crack leather finish on this picture?

I've searched for a while but I can't find the process anywhere.

R

post-45659-0-96720600-1437187885_thumb.j

You can spray a heavy coat of rattle can clear coat ( enamel or lacquer). Let dry completely, then bend it tightly ( roll it up tightly both ways) and the finish will crack.

I could be wrong but that look doesn't appear to be the finish. What Colt said will crack the finish but it will peel and rub off afterward. I know this from acidentily spraying too much on a belt. If you've already tried it and it's not what you want alcohol or deglazer will take it off.

What it looks like to me is a dry veg tan leather thar was coated with a matte or satin enamel. Then bent to crack the finish and the leather. I've done the same thing on my guitar straps ( by accident). Never had any finish peel off before. I quit using rattle can clear coat (stuff you buy at the hardware store or lowes) because of how it cracks.

You may be right Colt. I use spray can Saddle Lac and when it cracks it turns whiteish and if I rub it with my fingers it peels off to a certain point. That design in the pic looks "to me" to have been put in the leather especially the loop and the cracks behind the buckle look like worn out weathered cracks. Maybe Rolox will let us know after some trail and error.

You may be right Colt. I use spray can Saddle Lac and when it cracks it turns whiteish and if I rub it with my fingers it peels off to a certain point. That design in the pic looks "to me" to have been put in the leather especially the loop and the cracks behind the buckle look like worn out weathered cracks. Maybe Rolox will let us know after some trail and error.

I should have clarified the difference in the original post.

Spray can clear coat designed for leather is completely different than the clear enamel and lacquer you buy at the store for 3-4$ a can.