Sign in to follow this  
Blackey Cole

Best Way To Make Holster Fit

I bought a well known holster for my xd45. It was a 3slot pancake with a retention strap. Got it in the size 15 which stated XD compact, XD. Nothing about no xd45 also the only three holsters they say of their that fit are all kydex, I have the CBQ version already and don't want either of the others because of the retention system used. I wanted a 3slot leather pancake holster so it would be snug to the body and blend in better.

So now I've got a holster the retention strap will not fasten the snap hits between the other part of the snap and the rivet for the stiffener which basicly puts the snap edge to edge. I have a blue gun and can soap the strap and work it over theblue gun until I get it to snap. I don't know how the blue gun fits but I'm 90 percent sure it's a XD 45 also if not I would use a wedge or two wedges and stretch it that way. But I'm fairly sure I'm going to have the same ploblem. Yes I could make a custom holster but my leatherwork has been put on hold for the near future. Hands are not up to the work, I need to buy a stictcher before getting back in to it.

Im not 100% sure what your question is ? It sounds like you are asking how to make it fit ? If it fits good everywhere other than just the thumb break you could wet it a bit and try stretching it some, BUT let me just throw my 2 cents out there. I have never liked holsters that are "one size fits many" I think most of the time its a bad idea , I understand that cost might be an issue but I think you would be better off finding a holster made specifically for the XD45 . Carrying a loaded firearm should never be done with any piece of gear that isn't 100% in quality and fit .

I dont know what your experience level is so please don't take any of this as a put down .

A defensive system is only as good as the weakest link and make no mistake about it , it is a system that should be carefully chosen to work together.

Im sure you don't want to be the guy that had his holster lock up when he need to draw or the one that had a negligent discharge when he holstered his weapon , yes I have seen both of those things and many more happen .

Im not trying to preach so take it for what its worth .

Good luck.

I thought of stretching the strap but what is the best way to do it when you need almost half inch. I might cut the retention system off and use a friction system instead until I make a similar holster as this was the carry system I was wanting. I'm not a fan of retention systems other than a well fitting holster for concealment anyway as if the holster fits right the gun isn't going anywhere anyway. Plus it will be covered so no one can grab it easily like open carry where I do see the need of a retention system.