Hi folks, I thought I'd share with you a few pics of my latest wallet. Not everybody's cup of tea but I'm quite happy with it.

image.jpg3.jpg

image.jpg1.jpg

image.jpg2.jpg

image.jpg4.jpg

Edited by Petewon

Thanks, I was just editing the post. More pics added.

I'll will put a few more up of other ones I've done when I can get them uploaded.

Edited by Petewon

The yellow is goat and the black is calf. No I didn't dye this one. I spent a fair bit of time trying to get the same finish dying it myself, even investing in an airbrush and compressor. The finish was good but quite a bit of fuss, not as durable and worked out about the same price as I can get it dyed at the tannery.

Nice work.

I like the contrast. Nice work!

Thanks for the kind comments folks.

Heres another one I finished last week. This has been used so a bit dusty now. I used a propper camera this time :)

wallet-1.jpg

wallet-2.jpg

wallet-4.jpg

wallet-3.jpg

Very nice!!!! Good job.

Oh my, that is beautiful work! Love the contrast of colors on the first one, and the pattern on the second one!

How thin did you have to skive the edges of the outside leather to fold in, if you don't mind my asking? They look very thin and folded very neatly. I am pretty new and would love to achieve such a professional quality on my next project.

Oh my, that is beautiful work! Love the contrast of colors on the first one, and the pattern on the second one!

How thin did you have to skive the edges of the outside leather to fold in, if you don't mind my asking? They look very thin and folded very neatly. I am pretty new and would love to achieve such a professional quality on my next project.

The top edges are not actually folded, I just cut a strip, glue and stitch it on the inside then cut the top edge again to make sure it's perfectly straight. I think most people do fold the edges in but I just find this way easier.

The top edges are not actually folded, I just cut a strip, glue and stitch it on the inside then cut the top edge again to make sure it's perfectly straight. I think most people do fold the edges in but I just find this way easier.

That is an interesting idea! Thanks for sharing. I am in awe by how straight and neat your edges are. I still struggle a lot with edges on chrome tanned leather and this is a very nice example.

I'm having a hard time picturing this...it looks like it works great, so I want to understand it...having a difficult time with it though...

That is an interesting idea! Thanks for sharing. I am in awe by how straight and neat your edges are. I still struggle a lot with edges on chrome tanned leather and this is a very nice example.

Thank you. I cut with a roller cutter, I find it easier to get clean verticle edge.

I'm having a hard time picturing this...it looks like it works great, so I want to understand it...having a difficult time with it though...

I just cut the back panel a few mm larger than it needs to be, cut a strip the same length as the back panel and about 1cm deep. Glue the strip to back panel (facing inwards) then trim them both at the top.

Edited by Petewon

I just cut the back panel a few mm larger than it needs to be, cut a strip the same length as the back panel and about 1cm deep. Glue the strip to back panel (facing inwards) then trim them both at the top.

Yeah, I'm still not understanding...the way you explained it here, it sounds like you're not using turned edges...

Yeah, I'm still not understanding...the way you explained it here, it sounds like you're not using turned edges...

Thats right, I'm not using turned edges.

Thats right, I'm not using turned edges.

Oh...hmm...ok, well great...thanks for this info...

Oh...hmm...ok, well great...thanks for this info...

I'm not sure what you are getting at here? I have not used turned edges and have explained twice how I have put them together. What's the problem?

I'm not sure what you are getting at here? I have not used turned edges and have explained twice how I have put them together. What's the problem?

Err...I wasn't intending any sarcasm in my last post...that was meant to be an earnest "thank you" for the info...

Ok no worries. Just the way I read it seemed to be implying I wasn't being helpful.

Cheers.

He glues a strip on the inside, stitches it and then re trims to make a perfect straight edge then paints, sands and polishes.

Really nice :) Did you use any edge dye on the "yellow wallet" ? (which one?) or is it just burnishing?

Thank you. Yes I used a dye I made up from yellow acrylic mixed with stahl/gardini gloss lacquer. It worked out really well. Probably not as good as just yellow gardini edge paint but I didn't have any and shipping is a bit pricey.