Windrider30

Leather Dye And Bleeding

OK so how the hell do I stop an antquie gel from bleeding. I wore the bracer in the picture today for a few hours, just to see where I would or wouldn't catch the clasps on it but I noticed that the backside of the leather bleed onto my skin, thankfully its not that hard to get off flesh but how do I stop this from happening. I buffed the back side of the bracer as well as hit it with aussie conditioner and yet it still bled a little so how do I stop it? Really do not want that to happen to a customer!

post-54720-0-56169900-1437456403_thumb.j

post-54720-0-64672700-1437456413_thumb.j

Did you use tan kote?

Nope. I just buff the hell out of it after its dried for at least 24 hours then hit it twice with the aussie conditioner

What's the inside dyed with? Antique gel? I've only ever used that on the grain side, not the flesh. You'll need a proper sealer I should think, aussie conditioner is not a sealer

Yep I use the same dye I use on the grainside as well as on the back and hmm will have to look into getting a proper sealer then any suggestions I have hit the back of a few pieces with super sheen and that seemed to work (was just playing around and wanted to see what it would do)

I would go with something acrylic on the back to seal it, like Resolene. That would lock in your pigment but also help prevent sweat and oils from the wearer from getting into the leather.

I'm not sure if it works in your case. But I know that gum tragacanth will seal the leather (from oil dye --> that's why it is common not to use gum tragacanth before dyeing the leather/edge).

so perhaps, now you can apply gum tragacanth on the flesh side, press it with edge roller then let it dry.

I struggled with this same issue on pet collars. I recalled a dozen collars from my first sale because I hadn't tested them with moisture. I have tried several dyes and sealers. They help, but still bleed. I switched to Tandy's Professional Waterstain, and after it dries completely, it does not bleed off. I wet it and rub enough to loosen the fuzz on the back and still no dye bleeding. These have worked well for me on the front also and are what I most of the time.