CharlieM

Hardening Moulded Leather

So I'm working on my first ever leather piece. A friend of mine showed me how to wet mould the leather to shape it, but I'm not sure what I should apply to the back of the leather to help it keep its shape over time. I don't really want to boil the piece in wax, I've heard that you can just brush on something to the back to harden it instead.

Can anyone help?

you don't have to actually boil it in wax. The process of boiling leather, itself, will harden it. Adding wax or other type of oil like neatsfoot or olive oil will help preserve the hard leather which would otherwise become brittle.

As with most processes in leather, you're going to have to experiment a little. It's like casing, you can have the process described to you a million times but you actually have to get it wrong a few times before you get the 'feel' of what is right.

Good luck!

you don't have to actually boil it in wax. The process of boiling leather, itself, will harden it. Adding wax or other type of oil like neatsfoot or olive oil will help preserve the hard leather which would otherwise become brittle.

As with most processes in leather, you're going to have to experiment a little. It's like casing, you can have the process described to you a million times but you actually have to get it wrong a few times before you get the 'feel' of what is right.

Good luck!

Thanks!

So soaking in hot water, shaping it, moulding it over a form, and then applying oil to the inside should be all that is needed to help it keep its shape in the long run?

Yes. Again, it depends on how hot the water is and how long you soak it. That's something you'll just have to learn by experience

I don't recommend boiling leather in anything. I suppose it depends on how hard you'd like it to end up... somewhere between 'firm' and 'crispy'. I form leather with warm (almost hot) water. No temp guage, just if i can't stick my hand in it it's too hot. With good leather, a holster will harden to where you don't need the gun.. just whoop an attacker with the holster :rofl:

Bake it. Turn the oven down all the way (usually 175 degrees) and bake it for about 15 minutes or longer if needed. Do this after you wet form the piece and it is stiff enough not to deform. 'Course, suspend the piece or put it on wood or something that will brand the leather. Occasionally I will bake a holster to serve a purpose. I suspend the holster.

I use a food dehydrator and stuff come out rock hard. Thrift stores have the round stacking ones for next to nothing. Need a deeper one just cut the plastic mesh out of a ring. They are not much good for food the top stays raw and the bottom bakes. The top is cooler than the bottom as the heat element is there. Clean the food grease out of it before use.